Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nursing before bed

Default Re: Nursing before bed

So what do you do before bed? Just dinner then? Maybe some milk or water with dinner?

Well, I'm still nursing before bedtime (though interestingly, my baby, who's the same age as yours, has stopped nursing to sleep, so we nurse, then cuddle, then I put her in her crib and she falls asleep). But in the absence of nursing, yes, I would give her dinner with a cup of water or milk, then do the bedtime routine (PJs, brush teeth, story, cuddle time - this is the routine for my older kids). We have dinner late due to our work schedule so our kids go to bed shortly after dinner time. If we had dinner earlier I might consider a cup of milk before bedtime (and sometimes my older kids do want that cup of milk) but that should be before brushing teeth. A benefit of breastfeeding is that the milk doesn't pool in the mouth so less of a concern about cavities.

Thanks. This is really helpful. I guess actually my son is doing the same thing as your baby. He doesn't typically fall asleep at the breast before bed anymore. He likes to nurse and he's usually very sleepy before I put him in his crib but he's not entirely asleep most of the time.