Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sudden decrease in frequency

Default sudden decrease in frequency

My 15 mo old went through a really sudden change in his nursing frequency about 3-4 weeks ago. Prior to this, he was nursing awake in the morning, a short session mid morning, down for nap (after lunch), up from nap, around 5pm, to sleep at night (7pm) and then about 2 times per night.

Then, really suddenly, he started sleeping through the night (dropping those two feeds) and decreasing the daytime feeds. He now always nurses up in the morning, down for nap (or bottle if I am working), and down for bed. On the days I am home from work (Thurs-Sun), he may nurse a little during the day if we are at home -- but if we are out, he never wants to nurse. When I work, he only takes a bottle of milk at naptime. He refuses it at all other times (previously, he asked for it frequently).

I'm not really sure what prompted any of these changes (eating or sleeping), especially as he is cutting his molars right now which I would have expected to send things in the other direction. (The changes have coincided with us starting to be outside and active a lot more, rather than at home, and an increase in the amount of solid foods he is consuming). Regardless of why...this has been a pretty consistent pattern for nearly a month now.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions:

1. I've always planned to be child led on weaning but I would really like to make it until at least 2. Is it reasonable to expect that we can continue nursing in this pattern for a fair amount of time to come or is this a signal that he is getting ready to fully wean? Given my goal, should we be doing anything differently?

2. I know that 3 feeds is the minimum for the dairy requirement. I'm not too worried about this as he is doing 3 feeds a day but is also a big fan of cheese and yogurt. I do sometimes worry about hydration. He does drink water, but not a ton (it's water and BM/milk only, nothing else). And, his nappies (even overnight ones) are less wet and his poos are a bit firmer now. At this age, is there any rule about how much fluids they need to be consuming from a hydration standpoint?

Thanks!

Default Re: sudden decrease in frequency

Unfortunately I don't have a great answer for you but I am having the exact same issues! Mine is 12 months old and nursing only about 4 times a day. I hope to make it until 2 as well! I have heard that things evolve and at 1 they may be too busy to nurse but at 2 they could want to nurse all day long. So who knows! Personally I'm not adding in any other milk (like cows milk) and I'm continuing to offer as much as I can. I offer water with meals and she will take 1/2 a cup max for the entire day. It's hard to know because in those 3 or 4 feeds we aren't sure how much they are getting! I'm hoping that as long as I follow her lead she will nurse more or consume more water when she feels thirsty. If his skin looks okay and he isn't lethargic, and he still is wetting diapers (light yellow to clear and not dark colored urine) then you are probably ok. I wish you well!!

1. It's reasonable, but not guaranteed. Just keep offering.

2. You can probably simply trust your LO to know when he's thirsty and to ask for water or milk. When in doubt, just keep the sippy cups handy.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the responses. Just thought I'd update a bit. LO is still nursing and that doesn't seem to be in danger of stopping any time soon. He is still nursing less than he did a few months ago, but he still clearly loves it and is pretty regular with at least 4 feeds (more on days I don't work and if we are at home more). He was just very sick for a week (norovirus or something like that) and the only thing he consumed was BM and some water. He has totally mastered a cup now and LOVES to drink water from it, so that is no longer a worry. He can say water and asks for it often (plus the cup is just always out). So, I'm feeling a little more settled in our nursing relationship and confident that we can continue for a good while yet.

I've always had a hard time trusting that he can regulate what/how much he needs, but he keeps showing me again and again that he CAN and DOES and that I don't need to worry so much. Maybe I'll finally learn that lesson for good!