Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tear on areaola not getting better. Please help!

Default Tear on areaola not getting better. Please help!

My baby is 10mths old. Has anyone ever dealt with a tear in the skin on your areaola. Oh my god it hurts! when baby latches on. I saw a doctor and suggested to him I try the All Purpose Nipple Ointment everyone on here talks about. It was a military doctor, he said he was unable to dispense it exactly because the betamethasone was not on his list of approved SAFE medications for breastfeeding mothers. He substituted the Betamethasone for Hydrocortisone cream and instead of the Miconazole gave me nystatin cream. Told me to try this mixed with the Mupirocin. Well I've been using it for almost a week now, the redness I had in that area has improved but the tear has not. I have even tried putting aquafor on as well. Every time baby latches on the tear opens back up. Also I'd like to add I recently got a cold and went back in to see the doc and he gave me Mucinex-D. Well a day later I noticed what looked like an allergic reaction in my baby. A well spread faint rash from chest to top of diaper area. I have seen this same rash in my other son when he reacted to amoxicillan. He was on amoxicillan for a week before the reaction flamed up. So... I have stopped taking it all! Only using nystatin and aquafor now. I know my baby isn't allergic to those. I'm going back a week later for a follow up. Any suggestions?? How can I get this healed?? Should I ask to see a dermatologist. What worked for you??

Default Re: Tear on areaola not getting better. Please help!

What caused the tear? Did it spontaneously crop up after months of pain free nursing, or is it the result of a bite?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm not sure. I don't believe it was a bite. Before it showed I thought I had thrush, my areaolas were red and irritated. So I was treating it as. However I didn't start the medication until after the tear showed. I had gone to the doctor on a Friday and left my medication in the lounge so I was without treatment all weekend. Then it showed over the weekend. I have been dealing with thrush on and off since December... But baby doesn't have it, so idk...

Was the baby treated for thrush, too? This is sounding more and more like something infection-y. Thrush, maybe bacteria...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I had started giving him treatment, with medication I already had at home from a previous doctor visit. I haven't taken him in because I don't see anything in his mouth. I stopped treating him after a short time because like I said I don't see anything in his mouth and he is already getting the nystatin from my breasts. I'm beginning to think more and more that my skin was just dry and maybe did tear from a slight bite. It has occurred a couple times so it is possible. But how the heck will it ever heal?? I can't stop nursing..
    Last edited by @llli*tresa2steppin; March 2nd, 2013 at 02:51 PM.

Mama, I'm really thinking that this is thrush or some other infection- and until you deal with that, the tear is unlikely to heal. JM2C- I could be totally wrong!

Nystatin is often ineffective, and I don't know that the baby would get sufficient medication from nursing in order to totally treat thrush.

Dear Tresa2steppin,

i have read all your post re this and to be honest if we met in real life I would say go to a doctor - and believe me I am not a friend of the medical profession and mostly avoid them. But a hole as you mention in the other post form earlier today sounds very bad and I don't think can be cured with home remedies/OTC stuff. I think you need a expert opnion from a medical professional - this sounds severe and I can barely imagine the pain and despair.

One time i was very desperate with long lasting painful nipple exzema and found no doctor who did not say: just wean, he is too old for nursing anyway (he was about 2 then), so on my despair I asked our pediatrician for help. She is very pro nursing and told me what prescription to get from the GP.

So perhaps if you have a pediatrician you trust and who is pro bf toddlers s/he might help you? She probably is not allow to prescribe for adults (where we live at least it is so) but at least she might be able to assess the damage to the tissue/state of infection if nothing else.

Also, when I had the eczema, I did nurse him only on one side for several weeks, till it finally cleared, and by 10 months I would think it should not cause you a severe supply issue. My son was two and so I suppose that was not such a consideration but anything to get rid of the hole I would say. I put a small strainer into the nursing bra (cut off the handle, one of the those cheapo plastic thiings, just a bit bigger than the areola to keep the cloth from irritating it further and keep it dry. It was weird and not really practical but helped.