Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OS under control, now want to help out another mama

Cool OS under control, now want to help out another mama

Hello!
    I have conquered my OS in the last month or more. Recently I have decided to start pumping and donating milk for another mom I met. I would love some advice on how to start pumping for her but not become engorged, or choking my baby with my OAL.

My baby is about to be 4 months, now. Each night going to bed I hand express a little in the shower to get the boob she hasn't eaten off for a while a tad but softer.
    Each morning when I wake up there's a ton of milk in both breast, sometimes I have to still soak a rag or two.

Should I just leave one boob for feeding and one boob for stashing?
    If I do that, then what if my baby is rough on the intended feeding nipple then I would have to switch.
    Hope I'm not milking this issue. Really want to help her out since I can!

Default Re: OS under control, now want to help out another mama

How much milk are you looking to share per day? A couple of oz, or as much as possible?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I want to pump at least a 2.5 bottle a day from each breast.

Since you're not looking to pump a huge additional volume of milk, I think the danger of you kicking yourself into oversupply is low. I'd try the following:
    - after baby goes to bed at night, hand-express into a basin or bottle and see how much you get
    - if you don't get enough from hand-expression at night, try expressing first thing in the morning
    - if 2 sessions of hand expression aren't doing the job, consider using the pump, stopping as soon as you get your desired volume of milk, i.e. don't empty the breast
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"