Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OS under control, now want to help out another mama

Cool OS under control, now want to help out another mama

Hello!
    I have conquered my OS in the last month or more. Recently I have decided to start pumping and donating milk for another mom I met. I would love some advice on how to start pumping for her but not become engorged, or choking my baby with my OAL.

My baby is about to be 4 months, now. Each night going to bed I hand express a little in the shower to get the boob she hasn't eaten off for a while a tad but softer.
    Each morning when I wake up there's a ton of milk in both breast, sometimes I have to still soak a rag or two.

Should I just leave one boob for feeding and one boob for stashing?
    If I do that, then what if my baby is rough on the intended feeding nipple then I would have to switch.
    Hope I'm not milking this issue. Really want to help her out since I can!

Default Re: OS under control, now want to help out another mama

How much milk are you looking to share per day? A couple of oz, or as much as possible?

I want to pump at least a 2.5 bottle a day from each breast.

Since you're not looking to pump a huge additional volume of milk, I think the danger of you kicking yourself into oversupply is low. I'd try the following:
    - after baby goes to bed at night, hand-express into a basin or bottle and see how much you get
    - if you don't get enough from hand-expression at night, try expressing first thing in the morning
    - if 2 sessions of hand expression aren't doing the job, consider using the pump, stopping as soon as you get your desired volume of milk, i.e. don't empty the breast