Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Supply Decrease At End of the Day

Default Milk Supply Decrease At End of the Day

Hello I'm new to this forum. I have a little angel who is 4 months old and just started day care about 1 month ago. I pump at work 3 times a day and she is on the breast when she is with me otherwise. My first pump I get 8 ounces, 2nd pump 4 to 5 and by the third pump I'm lucky I get 4 and its a lot of work. I work four days a week. She nurses when we get home and then she is asleep by 7p and doesn't nurse again until 2 or 3 and then again about 6:30am.

I'm concerned about my supply. ANd also want to know if its normal to have more milk in the morning than in the later part of the day? Right now I'm pumping just enough to sustain her but I'm worried that won't last OR maybe as she needs more my body will adjust? I just watched a video about hand expressing and will try that but was curious if I should pump again at night before I go to bed to build up more of a supply and increase the freezer stash.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't remember having this issue with my son.

Default Re: Milk Supply Decrease At End of the Day

Hi mama, welcome to the forum! Yes, it is entirely normal for there to be less milk at the end of the day - whether pumping or nursing. And you have fabulous pump output. 8 ounces at one go is A LOT, 4-5 ounces at the second session is still a lot, and "lucky to get 4" is normal. Because a normal "meal" at the breast is only 2-3 ounces. So your supply is fine! How many hours are you apart from your LO? She needs 1 - 1.5 ounces/hour. So if you're pumping 16 ounces in the day that is enough for a > 10 hour separation. And if she starts having more than that, then she is being overfed. (And if you are apart for 8 hours, for example, then she is already being overfed.) A breastfed baby's milk requirement does NOT increase with age after the early weeks. So what she is drinking at 4 months should be the same at 6 months, 8 months etc.

It doesn't sound like you need to pump at night as things stand right now, but if you want to build up a bit of a stash - if that makes you feel more relaxed - then you certainly can. Particularly because she is sleeping a long stretch from 7 pm to 2 am. So you could pump at 10 pm or right before you go to bed, whenever that is. And if you notice that your pump output IS decreasing during the day, and you're no longer able to keep up with her, then you definitely should pump at that time, or consider doing a dreamfeed when you go to bed. (It's also possible/probable that her sleep patterns will change on you, and you'll be doing another feed in that long stretch anyway!). Nighttime nursing is really helpful for keeping up daytime supply, particularly for mamas depending on the pump at work.

Excellent advice from the PP. As usual.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks so much for the feedback. I didn't realize that LO's only needed 2 to 3 ounces per feeding. She is getting 4 oz per bottle right now, sometimes more, but rarely more. I also didn't know that her requirements would stay the same as time went on. I thought in a month or so I'd need to be giving her even more and pumping more. I definetely feel better! We're apart about 9 to 10 hrs per day when I'm at work. I leave her about 7:45 last feeding at 7 and don't get her back in my arms and on the breast until about 5:30. She's been averaging about 16 oz per day BUT... her poops since she's been at daycare have become green. And as of right now she hasn't pooped since yesterday at 10am. I'm wondering if they are overfeeding and if she is maybe getting a little upset tummy from it. Could it also be possible that she won't eat as much from me if they are over feeding and could hurt my supply? Again thanks for the feedback and support!

Hi mama, definitely a potential downside of overfeeding is LO nursing less with you when you're together, which then makes it harder for you to keep up supply. You could experiment with giving 3 oz bottles, with 1 oz "toppers" available if needed, and see if that helps with her tummy.