Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help regarding amount of BM to give to daycare

Default Help regarding amount of BM to give to daycare

So I started working again about four weeks ago. My LO nurses about every 2-3 hours (usually two) during the day. He will nurse for about 30-60 minutes each session. The first week, I gave daycare five 3 ounce bottles to give him in a 9 hour day. They said he would suck down the bottle really fast and cry afterwards wanting more. So then I moved it up to 3.5 ounces and he was still crying afterwards. So now I am at 4 ounces a bottle. But that means he is eating 20 ounces in only 9 hours. Isn't that A LOT? And he has become fussy, I think because he is being overfed.

I am meeting with an LC and also his pediatrician on Monday to ask them about this. He just doesn't do well with drinking out of a bottle. I mean, he drinks out of the bottle fine, but it's like it doesn't satisfy him. He wants to be on the breast.

I am not sure what to do at this point. Can I switch back to five 3 ounce bottles? Or will that mess with him even more?

Now that I think of it, he would cry after finishing the 3 ounce bottle, but he would calm down after a few minutes and be fine. Ever since he started drinking 4 ounce bottles, he has become very fussy. Probably because he is overfed.

Note: They do feed him upright, and give frequent breaks while he eats.

Default Re: Help regarding amount of BM to give to daycare

It really sounds like they're overfeeding him.
    Mum to DS (04/07)
    EPing for former 28 weeker (03/12)

That's what I figure.

I heard the rule is 1-1.5 ounces per hours you are away. I am away from him for 10 hours during the day. So I think 15 ounces (five 3 ounce bottles) is plenty.

Hi mama, you're absolutely right. 15 ounces is MAX what you need. Go back to the 3 oz bottles and work with your daycare provider on how to soothe him other than sticking a bottle in his mouth. Just because a baby WILL drink more from a bottle does not mean he NEEDS more from a bottle. Babies like to suck so if there is a nipple in their mouth they will suck on it. Holding baby, swing, walking with him, perhaps a pacifier if you have introduced one - are other ways to soothe. Here are some resources from kelly mom including stuff you can print out and share with caregiver:

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/e...reastfed-baby/
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/

Another point to remember is that a breastfed baby will not need more milk as the year goes on. He will continue to need about 24-32 ounces per day (which is where the 1 - 1.5 ounces/hour number comes from).

Thanks! Yeah, he does take a pacifier. And they do use those. I already explained to them that I will be reducing his bottles from 4 ounces to 3. Do you think the two weeks of 4 ounce bottles hurt anything?

No, I don't think the fact that he had the 4 ounce bottles for two weeks should hurt anything. It's great that you are being pro-active about this, and it's definitely worth it - not only is it ridiculously hard to pump 20 ounces a day, it also means he will nurse less with you because of being full from all the bottles.