Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump weaning question

Question Pump weaning question

I have a 16 month old who nurses 3-6 times a day. I work full time, which for me, is a 4 day week, with 3 of those days being 11 hour days. Due to only having pumping a protected right up to a year, I weaned to only pumping on my lunch. But now I don't really know how to stop that one pumping session. I am SO over pumping. If I just don't do it, I will pay for it. How can wean from it? Can I successfully stop pumping without it affecting my milk when I'm home with my daughter the other 3 days/week? Thanks in advance!!

Default Re: Pump weaning question

Yes, you can pump wean. Your LO is getting plenty of milk from you so you don't need to add any additional dairy - the rule of thumb is if she is nursing 3-5 times/day, she's getting all her dairy needs met by your milk. And no, pump weaning won't affect your nursing relationship on the other three days. Remember, your breasts are never empty. So if she nurses at a time when you would normally be at work, there will be milk there, and then it sends a signal to your breasts to make more milk for the next time she wants to nurse. I don't blame you for being over pumping - 16 months is a long time to pump!

you can do it, your body will adjust. trust your body, you can do it. why don't you drop your lunch pumping on a friday so that you will be home with your little one for two days and see how she does. you will begin to trust your body that you can do it. your body will amaze you!
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11

I know that I can, but how? I don't work a set schedule, so there are specific days that I am off or work. If I quit cold turkey, I would be in a lot of pain, at least for several days. And it goes without saying that I'd rather avoid that. If I cut down the time gradually, do you think that would work?

Hi mama, yes, cutting back gradually, that's exactly right. Or How did you drop down from multiple pumping sessions per day to just one? You can use that as your guide for how quickly you can go.