Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: just not making it :( last ditch request for any suggestion

Unhappy just not making it :( last ditch request for any suggestion

I so wish I made enough for my little guy. I have been pumping and taking herbs (goat's rue) and dom 40mg/4x/day, and eating oatmeal and barley and drinking water and fenugreek/fennel tea, and not for all the galactogogues in the world can I make enough milk for him. I have even been taking sunflower lecithin to alleviate the chronic plugged ducts that usually plague me.

He feeds on demand, like every hour or 45 minutes, and only sleeps 2.5-3 hrs between night feeds

is there anything, anything else i can try? he is 6 mos, hungry as a wolf, and eats 3 meals/day, and still needs supplement milk, about 6 oz/day

Default Re: just not making it :( last ditch request for any sugges

It sounds like you're doing just about everything. Are you cosleeping? That might give you the opportunity to dream nurse and get more into him that way.

I'm sorry I don't have more to offer you, but what you ARE giving him is liquid gold. He's lucky to have such a dedicated Momma.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: just not making it :( request for any suggestions

We are co-sleeping; it's a rough go on nights when he wakes up enough to nurse only one side, then falls alseep for another 1.5 hours maybe, to wake up for the other side... I'm up every 1.5 hours, then, but if he does both sides he'll go 3 hours in between. I try to get him to nurse both sides but sometimes he just doesn't. My husband gave him a bottle the other night and he actually slept 5 hours in a row, it was a first.

When I had to be away one day for almost 4 hours, recently, I pumped when I got home (my husband had just fed him and put him to bed), and I got 3.5 oz on right size, but not even 2 on the left. The left side has always been a 'poor performer', and I think it didn't help early on when 2 nights in a row, probably around 2 months, I was so tired I forgot to roll over and the supply really tanked then... "inadvertent block nursing".

Alexx,
    when exactly did you start to supplement? Because while you have always been plagued with doubt and fear as of the 4 month point you were NOT supplementing at all? When did you start supplementing and why?
    And dude, 5oz of milk from ANY PUMPING session is NOT a small amount of milk. It's a HUGE amount! There is still nothing you have ever posted that lead me to believe you have EVER had a supply issue. When did you start supplementing and on who's advice?

Way too lazy for formula

I agree that's a lot from a pumping. I don't think 2 nights in a row at age 2 mos is going to permanently hurt your supply. The only other thing, if you do indeed have low supply, I tried that helped, was brown rice. I don't know why, but it helped a lot, much more than oatmeal or barley ever did. Keep nursing often, nursing often is the best thing you can do for supply if your baby is efficient at removing milk, which most are and you are nursing him often. How is his weight? If he's gaining well and energetic I would try to decrease the supplement and see what happens.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Well, he gained absolutely nothing from month 3 to 4, already being off the chart (below), despite nursing every hour to 90 minutes daytime, every 2 hours overnight, at 4 months. The ped recommended supplementing, or starting food. So, I started him with avocado/bm puree. After a weight check at 4mo/2 weeks, he'd gained 6 oz, so the ped was satisfied and recommended to just continue. So I have been using supplement milk in his oatmeal and purees, and when he just won't sleep even after nursing,or when he refuses to latch, but is very fussy, which is often the evening time. From 4-6 months he gained some weight, but he is still at 1%ile. He's following the exact same patterns my other two followed, but with them I just ended up switching completely to formula by 6 months.

When you switched to formula with your other 2, what happened? Did they continue on being small babies, or did their growth shoot way up?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You know, that's a great question. They never got huge, were always on the leaner side, although they did plump up more. I'd have to get copies of their growth charts to know the numbers. They're still skinny LOL. Not my genes! I attribute their metabolisms to my husband's Asian genes.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alexx View Post
    Well, he gained absolutely nothing from month 3 to 4, already being off the chart (below), despite nursing every hour to 90 minutes daytime, every 2 hours overnight, at 4 months. The ped recommended supplementing, or starting food. So, I started him with avocado/bm puree. After a weight check at 4mo/2 weeks, he'd gained 6 oz, so the ped was satisfied and recommended to just continue. So I have been using supplement milk in his oatmeal and purees, and when he just won't sleep even after nursing,or when he refuses to latch, but is very fussy, which is often the evening time. From 4-6 months he gained some weight, but he is still at 1%ile. He's following the exact same patterns my other two followed, but with them I just ended up switching completely to formula by 6 months.
    So can you see by what you are writing how I am confused about this problem? Since it doesn't really seem like it is one? You have genetically small children. Your doctor never told you to supplement and you have ALWAYS (at least in all your time here) acted like you KNEW you weren't going to make it. But the whole time you have made enough milk and fed on demand and had enough wet diaper and had weight gain that satisfied your doctor and still you are convinced it's not enough. So what's it really about? Are you unwilling to feed on demand because of how often it is? I am not clear what it is you are looking for in your "last ditch request" because I don't understand why it's a last ditch request. It sounds to ME like you have made up your mind that it's time to quit but it's not based on anything real. I sort of feel like you are looking for permission to fail. Do you think that is possible? Because being in the 1st percentile is not a reason to quit or supplement. 6month old are pretty much ALWAYS going to increase their night nursing because they are teething and in pain and the oxcytocin in your milk relieves their pain.
    So if you are done that is a personal decision and one you absolutely get to make as a mother but it's not about lack of milk on your part. You make enough milk. Even 6 oz shy a day is nothing. It's the two times a night that you want him to sleep through. But if you fed him you'd make it.
    So do you want us to talk to you about how your baby deserves your milk? Because he does. Or how sleep is totally fleeting and totally changes every 6 weeks and that's normal and this too shall pass? Because it is and it will.
    Or can I just be honest and ask for more clarity on your feelings? Because I am both confused and troubled by this thread. Because you have a small baby who is gaining who can and does feed and a mother who can and does make milk. So.....what do you want to see happen right now?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alexx View Post
    You know, that's a great question. They never got huge, were always on the leaner side, although they did plump up more. I'd have to get copies of their growth charts to know the numbers. They're still skinny LOL. Not my genes! I attribute their metabolisms to my husband's Asian genes.
    The fact that your first two never really changed much once you switched them to formula... It really implies that your kids' size is genetic, not related to their diet.

I bet that when you take your older kids to the pediatrician, you never hear a peep about their weight. There's all this joy over fat babies, but once you get into the toddler years and beyond, if your kid is on the chubby side you get a ton of concern. The epidemic of childhood obesity! It's not bad to be slender, and if your kids are genetically destined to have that advantage- I say that you should just enjoy it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"