Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clogged Duct!

Default Clogged Duct!

I was nursing my son last night just fine, but when I got to work and it was time to pump (I work third shift) I had very little milk come out both sides (when I usually have a great amount) and my right breast was very hard on the top. I continued to try to pump and still got a little amount of milk. I went to the doctor and he told me I have a clogged duct. He went ahead and put me on an antibiotic because I have a history of mastitis with this particular breast and told me to use a heating pad to help get the milk flowing. My problem is is that the heating pad is not working!! My breast hurts and is so engorged!! Does anyone know any tricks to try to get this milk out?! My son is getting frustrated because of the lack of milk flow on that side and can't get the built up milk out. Help!!

Default Re: Clogged Duct!

No real advice, but totally feel your pain, I had this happen too, and almost completly lost the supply in that breast, it didn't work for me, but I read that super hot showers can help, along with expressing by hand if you can

I've dealt with clogged ducts too. It is painful! What helped me was taking hot showers, and massage the breasts in the shower and then nurse right after.
    Also, I used to put warm washcloths on my breast while nursing to help the milk flowing.

Hope it helps! I think there's an article under Resources but I can't find it

Ditto.
    What worked for me was to hop into a really hot shower and massage the affected breast under the flowing water, then nurse my hungry baby as soon as I stepped out. Taking lecithin granules also helped to prevent plugs.

Just want to add that sometimes it takes persistence to get a duct unclogged - repeated episodes of massage in the shower etc. The last plugged duct I had took a day to resolve with very diligent massage! Also, sometimes if baby cannot resolve the duct, I've found it helps to do a long pumping session on that breast while massaging/compressing the breast. Another thing that can help is "gravity nursing," where you sort of hang the breast over baby's mouth so that gravity helps the flow. I've also seen the suggestion of actually nursing in the shower - never tried that myself, but can't hurt!

I took a shower that didn't seem to help any.....and it hurts too bad to do a lot of hand expressing!! My son did nurse longer off of it just a little bit ago without screaming so maybe it's working itself out? Someone told me to soak my breast in epsom salt and hot water so I tried that but that didn't seem to do anything but get salt and water all over the place! Lol I had mastitis really bad in this same breast and ended up staying 4 days in the hospital with staph and strep infection when I nursed my daughter, but that was on the side of the breast where this is pretty much the entire top of my breast. I'm hoping my supply won't take too big of a hit with this!! Nursing was going so great!! I started the antibiotics and the doc said if it were mastitis it should be gone within 48 hours of starting the medicine so I guess it's a waiting game for now.....a long painful waiting game! Did anyone have any supply issues afterwards? The thought of having to put my son on formula is enough to send me into a panic attack!!

Where do you get the lecithin granules from?

I buy them at a local healthfood store. I have tried the gel capsules too, but they did not help me.

I struggle with repeated clogged ducts since my son started refusing the breast, like at least one a week, and it is miserable! I've massaged and taken hot showers and baths, hot packed with washcloths, cabbage leaves, and hot pads, massaged with an electric toothbrush (at my Dr's recommendation), and pumped like crazy. I never seem to have success with the same thing regularly, but I do find that if I try to relax and rest with a nap and try not to fixate on it, I can eventually get it unclogged after a couple days. The more upset I get, the longer they seem to last. I've not had mastitis yet (knock on wood) but I'm scared to death of it. I started taking Lecithin gelcaps a few weeks ago and have seen a huge decrease in the number of clogs I experience each week. (I used to get one every couple days). My son used to be able to unclog them relatively quickly for me when he nursed, the pump is not nearly as efficient. Good luck!

Oh! And I usually have a lower supply for about 24 hrs after a clogged duct but it bounces back quickly!