Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 15 Month Old not eating enough solid food

Default 15 Month Old not eating enough solid food

Hello All,
    I'm sure this isn't a new problem, but it is to me. My LO has tried & liked a pretty nice variety of food - from cantelope, cukes, tomatoes, all kinds of soup, pasta & the usual hot dogs, chicken nuggets... for the last 2 months it's been like pulling teeth to get her to eat though. I have to say,she has 4, maybe 5 molars so I'm sure her teeth are bothering her. I don't mind nursing her, but am concerned that she is not getting all of the nourishment that she needs. Am also concerned that as her dr once put it, we don't want her developing an *aversion* to food. She seems seriously grossed out when I try to get her to eat most anything unless it's junk (ice cream, popcorn). Thank you for your help!

Default Re: 15 Month Old not eating enough solid food

Sounds normal to me. There is a big range in appetite for solids. There are kids who are enthusiastic eaters, and kids who seem to subsist on air, and everything in between. Often a child who started out eager to try new things will suddenly start refusing anything but a few preferred foods- this is a normal and self-protective behavior, because if toddlers were as indiscriminate about what they out in their mouths as babies are, they'd run a much higher risk of poisoning themselves. (Imagine an active toddler discovering a bottle of bleach, managing to unscrew the cap, and thinking "I wonder what this tastes like?" )

So what should you do? First, you might want to try keeping a food journal. You'll probably discover that your toddler eats more, and a more balanced diet, than you think if you look at her intake over the course of a few days instead of the course of a week. Second, keep nursing. She's still really little and breastmilk can fill a lot of nutritional holes in a toddler's diet- and that is a good thing! Nursing doesn't "ruin" a baby's appetite for solids. It just compensates for the normal inconsistencies of toddler appetite. Third, keep putting healthy and varied choices in front of your LO. Don't fall into the trap of offering only the foods that you know she will eat, because that may cause your child to become very picky and turn you into a short-order cook. Fourth, model good eating habits. If your toddler sees you eating all sorts of varied foods, she'll be more likely to try them. Fifth, get your LO involved in food preparation. You cut up the broccoli, she arranges it on the plate. You put the eggs on the plates, she shakes some dried parsley on them. You assemble the sandwich, she cuts out shapes from the sandwich using a cookie cutter. Sixth, try creative serving styles that may encourage her to eat more varied foods. Serve cut-up veggies in a cute container, with a cup of dip (ranch dressing is a big favorite in our house, but you can also use yogurt or peanut butter). Make a face on your child's plate using the components of the meal- broccoli for the hair, olives for the eyes, red pepper slices for the lips, etc.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you @mommal for your response. I will definitely try your suggestions for making things more interesting & interactive. It's reassuring to hear that we're pretty normal

We were COMPLETELY in your boat. My son is 16 months and only just recently started eating heartily. Up until about 15 months, he he might eat 1oz of food at one meal a day, despite being offered solids in a BLS format 5-6 times outside of our 8-10 nursing sessions. I commiserate with you. My son was growing taller and in head circumference but holding steady in weight. I was getting anxious, and then suddenly his appetite really accelerated. He's just naturally slim.

As long as your pedi isn't concerned (ours weren't), your daughter is likely just a late adapter to solids like my son. (Maybe our milk is just *that* good! )

Now that my son is pretty verbal, I get the distinct impression that breastmilk is his preferred food. He'll say something like "Mama, eat beef! Bite!" for solids, but he gets positively giggly when he wants to nurse (e.g. "Mama nurse please! Hooray!"). Nursing also gets applause, but food never has. I'd bet good money your daughter feels similarly about your milk.

Thank you @alphawoman for responding to my post. Switching to a booster seat & offering everything I can at each meal has seemed to help a little! It's encouraging to know that we aren't alone.

Our situation sounds very similar with height & head circumference progressing but weight staying about the same. I feel confident that our gal's appetite will pick up. She seems to have no problem with eating things like leaves & even a stink bug (uggggghhh!), but give her food & sometimes she actually quivers, lol!

It's just adorable that your little guy is so verbal about loving nursing. Don't they just melt your heart?

I love toddler nursing. It really has become much more than "just" nourishment.

For further reassurance, my son didn't gain any weight from 9-12 months, and then less than a pound through 15 months. Yet he was growing out of his clothes every month! He started eating like a maniac for a few weeks last month and then grew an inch in a week and put on weight noticeably. There were several meals where he ate as much meat as me! Now he's in a fallow eating phase and nursing all the time. Go figure!!
    Last edited by @llli*alphawoman; March 8th, 2013 at 10:32 PM.

@alphawoman - Thank you for sharing your experience. I really do love nursing my baby girl too so I'm in no hurry to wean It's something I never thought I'd experience & I wouldn't change it for anything! I am feeling more at ease now that she is eating more again but as you posted... I should be aware we could have another "food strike" down the road. We had a play date recently & they had lunch together. Ever since, eating at the table with us is acceptable (even if it is for less than 10 minutes). She is just too busy right now, I guess!