Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just started period postpartum, will my milk supply decrease

Exclamation Just started period postpartum, will my milk supply decrease

Brand new to this forum but have myself in a mommy tizzy tonight and looking for some reassurance please. My son is 1 years old, I am 39, he is our only child. Been successfully and happily bf since day one. Just started my period after not having one for almost/over 2 years (I was an IVF patient to conceive our son) and I am having what is hopefully an irrational fear that this means my milk supply is going to decrease!! I (we) am not ready to wean at this point and I am worried that my body is going to decide this for me. I will try and contact the LC consultant that helped me early on with breastfeeding but I need to try and sleep tonight and not worry about this. My husband is sweet but cannot offer me any good reassurance to calm my fears and my friends have not been through a similar situation to this. Any help out there to ease my concerns, thank you soooo very much.

Default Re: Just started period postpartum, will my milk supply decr

Oh, I hope you were able to get some sleep!

Some moms, though definitely not all, notice a temporary drop in milk supply during their periods. So if you see that happen, don't panic, just nurse as much as you can and it'll increase again after a few days.

I don't think I've ever heard of a mom seeing a permanent drop in supply after her cycles return. As long your baby keeps nursing, you'll keep making milk.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thumbs up Re: Just started period postpartum, will my milk supply decr

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    Oh, I hope you were able to get some sleep!

Some moms, though definitely not all, notice a temporary drop in milk supply during their periods. So if you see that happen, don't panic, just nurse as much as you can and it'll increase again after a few days.

I don't think I've ever heard of a mom seeing a permanent drop in supply after her cycles return. As long your baby keeps nursing, you'll keep making milk.
    Thank you, Karen, just the simple kind of reassurance I was hoping for from another woman who has the knowledge and experience about these kinds of things! My son nursed just fine before he fell asleep last night and woke up and nursed as normal this morning. I appreciate you putting my fears to rest. Lactation experts are angels in our mommy hearts!!!

I have 2 kids, and got my cycle back at around 15 months with both of them. I never had problems making enough milk at that point- my supply continued to match their needs. If they nursed more, I made more milk. If they nursed less- and they did, as they got older, then my supply went down.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You might find you have more sensitive nipples, that nursing stimulates uterine cramping, or that you have a slight supply dip with your cycle. I currently EP and have a supply dip from ovulation until day two or so of my period. It's not excessive and I still produce plenty. Cal-mag can help with the supply dip and nipple pain.

I nursed my eldest child with no issues other than nipple sensitivity and worsened cramping--my cycles resumed at 10mo postpartum.
    Mum to DS (04/07)
    EPing for former 28 weeker (03/12)