Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning from pumping/breastmilk while I work?

Default Weaning from pumping/breastmilk while I work?

Hi all! I am new to this forum and have a little boy who turns one on Sunday. I've been breastfeeding exclusively (other than starting solids at 6 months) the whole time. I work 2.5 days per week, during which he receives bottles of pumped milk. In the past couple weeks, he's been showing less and less interest in the bottles, but still breastfeeds well when I am home with him. I'm planning on weaning from pumping over the next month and trying to switch him to coconut milk (we are vegan). I'll still breastfeed him the rest of the time. My question is this, if he doesn't take well to the coconut milk in a straw cup, how bad will it be to for him to just not have bottles at all when I am at work (and just eat solids)? We're also planning to night wean him soon, as he still wakes >5 times per night to eat (last night he ate non-stop from 2AM until 5:30, when he made us get up). We co-sleep, so we'll be trying Jay McKenna's night weaning plan. Any advice? Thank you!

Default Re: Weaning from pumping/breastmilk while I work?

As long as you are still nursing 3-5 times a day you don't need to replace your breast milk with any kind of milk alternative unless you just want to. I think you'd be fine proceeding as you've planned, though I'd wait to start night weaning until you know for sure he's taking plenty of coconut milk and a variety of solids.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Good advice from the PP. if you're going to be nursing less than 3-5 times a day, I suggest speaking to your pediatrician or a knowledgeable nutritionist about whether or not coconut milk is an appropriate substitute for dairy in a toddler's diet. Until age 2, weaned toddlers are supposed to get around 2 cups of whole-fat dairy per day, mostly in order to meet their calcium and fat requirements. Coconut milk has plenty of fat, but AFAIK it's relatively low in calcium.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You can get coconut milk beverages that are fortified with extra calcium, but I agree you might want to make sure with a nutritionist. Ours recommended 20 ounces a day. We rarely get that much in him, but do try to encourage lots of other calcium-rich foods.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous