Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How does this schedule sound?

Default How does this schedule sound?

LO is 6 months old and started daycare yesterday. It was a tough day. She is refusing a bottle from them. While that may change, I wanted to run a schedule past you mamas to see if you think I'm approaching this in a way that will help us get to a year of nursing.

So here's what we did yesterday (and plan to continue)
    Co-sleep and nurse through the night - I have no idea how many time she wakes up. I would guess 3-5??
    Nurse when we wake up between 6-7am
    8:15 drop off at daycare and nurse (she didn't nurse great yesterday at this time)
    10:30 offer bottle at daycare, if she refuses, use BM to mix with oatmeal or veggie, I pump at work
    12-1 I'll come to daycare to nurse (again, she didn't nurse great)
    2:30 offer solid veggie puree, I pump at work
    4:15 pick up and nurse before we leave for home
    She can nurse whenever in the evening, last night only once between getting home and 8pm
    8pm nurse to sleep. I lay back down with her between 9&10 for the night.

I think we are getting at least 8-10 times of either nursing or pumping here. There are times when she doesn't nurse great and that worries me in terms of supply. We are together Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday and just nurse (very little solids). Do I need to try to squeeze in more pumping at work? I won't need much expressed milk if she's not taking a bottle at daycare. But am I setting myself up for supply issues? I'd so much rather be proactive and prevent problems than try to fix them once they happen, but it has turned me into such a worrier
    mom to four energetic kids ages 6,7,8 and our newest arrival born 8/14/2012

Default Re: How does this schedule sound?

This looks like a very reasonable starting point, I think you just have to see and adjust as needed. If you feel like your supply is decreasing, you can increase your pumping. But you've got three pumping/nursing sessions in an 8-hour day and you are pumping or nursing every 2 hours so that's already a very good frequency. The first day is hard, my guess is that as your LO settles in to the new routine she'll nurse better with you.

ETA: Did you work and pump with your older kids? My experience is that my pumping output, schedule etc have been really consistent from kid to kid. So if you were working and pumping with your older kids, did you have any supply issues? What kind of a schedule did you follow with them? That can help guide you too.
    Last edited by @llli*bfwmomof3; February 27th, 2013 at 09:12 AM.

Great thought but, no, I haven't really worked and pumped before. I wasn't blessed with my girls until they were 2 and 4 so I didn't get to nurse them. I had a ton of trouble nursing my son and stopped at 6 months. We were supplementing from really early so I don't remember worrying quite so much about pump output even though I went back to work when he was 3 months. I think that the lingering disappointment from not nursing my son as I would have liked fuels my anxiety this time around. I so love nursing my LO and so want to make it to a year.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tampamama View Post
    I so love nursing my LO and so want to make it to a year.
    You'll do it mama! Changing childcare routines is stressful. Hang in there. I think you have a good schedule - and if it's not working, you'll change it.

So a follow up question.... If/when I do offer solids at home, should I pump? Or just nurse before?

Nurse before solids at this age - you don't want solids to replace breastmilk at this age; before one solids are for learning new tastes and textures and gaining motor skills to self-feed, while breastmilk provides the majority of baby's nutrition. But you don't need to pump when giving solids.