Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fenugreek Side effects? Baby is spitting up A LOT!

Question Fenugreek Side effects? Baby is spitting up A LOT!

Hi all,

New LLL member and mommy. Son is 6 weeks and is exclusively BF. I started to run low on milk and went with Fenugreek pills as recommended my many other mommies.
    Since I started taking it, my milk production increased - which is great BUT suddenly my son is projectile vomiting. I made sure it was not that I was over feeding and still found that he was vomiting. I was using Mother's Milk Tea which was going fine and not affecting baby. I know that has some fenugreek in but so I though moving to but fenugreek pills would be fine.
    Did anyone have this same experience? Wondering how long it will remain in my milk? Any other galactagogues out there that really work? Started eating oatmeal today in hopes to increase milk supply that way.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Fenugreek Side effects? Baby is spitting up A LOT!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

There's spitting up and then there's projectile vomiting. Spitting up, even if the amounts are voluminous, is normal, as long as it occurs without pain or poor weight gain. Projectile vomiting, particularly if it's happening frequently or consistently, is something to see the pediatrician about.

You should only be concerned about spit-up/vomit when the baby seems to be in pain when it happens, when weight gain is poor, when the spew LITERALLY flies across the room, when baby is exhibiting signs of illness (fever, malaise, diarrhea). If this is just normal spit-up, then the best thing you can do is to treat this as a laundry issue, not a health issue.

Can you tell us some more about how nursing is going? What made you think that supply was a problem for you? How did you determine that you weren't "overfeeding" the baby? Anything else going on with nursing that seems off?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"