Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refrigerated breastmilk at room temp.

Default Refrigerated breastmilk at room temp.

How long can i keep refrigerated breastmilk at room temp? I only pump so i have milk in fridge i would like to use at night without heating in water or storing with ice. My house is set at 68 degrees. Also when i go out i do not aways have a place to warm up the milk. So how long can i keep refrigerated bm at room temp?
    Last edited by @llli*delgna77; February 26th, 2013 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Adding

Default Re: Refrigerated breastmilk at room temp.

It should be fine for 8 hours.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

hi..

goodmorning.. i am really confused.. i was wondering if a breastmilk that stored in a room temperature really expires??how long did it take to be expire?

Most expressed breast milk should be fine for up to 8 hours. You can always do a sniff/taste test yourself to see if it is still good.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Yes, bottles of pumped breastmilk stored at room temperature will eventually sour due to the action of bacteria. Time until souring will spend on the temperature (the warmer it is, the faster bacteria will multiply) and on how fresh the milk is. Milk that has been stored for a while in the refrigerator or freezer will probably go bad faster than fresh milk. Newly expressed milk will remain safe at room temperature for a minimum of 8 hours. It may be good for longer than 8 hours, but it is safest to discard after that much time at room temperature. A simple taste/smell test is a good way to figure out if milk is usable; if it smells good and tastes good, it probably is good.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"