Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm starting to get discourage and do t know what to do.

Unhappy I'm starting to get discourage and do t know what to do.

My baby is 2 months old. The first month of nursing was really difficult and painful. But we got the hang of it and have been doing great.....so I thought. Her 2 month appointment was yesterday and has only gained 7oz. She is still only 8lbs 12oz. She was 7lbs 7oz at birth, dropped down to 6lbs 12oz. So anyways her pedi told me, for a week, give her 2-3 oz of formula after every nursing session. She wants to see that the baby can gain weight and doesn't have any other issues. Mind you she nurses every 2 hours on the dot! And she nurses for almost 45 minutes each time. So I thought this sounded a bit too much. So I went to the lactation lady I had seen a few times at the beginning. She said that's Wayyy too much. So she said just 1oz to 1 1/2 oz. so I started. An some of the feedings she doesn't even want the formula. Which is a relief. Anyways while seeing the lactation lady. She had me do a feeding to see if the latch was correct. Well, it wasn't. Which is causing such long and frequent feedings. I didnt realize it was incorrect because I haven't felt any pain or discomfort. What was wrong was her lip was turned in a bit. so she corrected it for me and also did a count on how many times she sucks before swallowing. She said 5-6. I've counted more now that I'm looking out for it. I'm confused. And I don't know how to fix it. I'm getting discourage. I was so proud of myself that I got past the struggle of the first few weeks. Thought I was doing great to do d out its been wrong and my baby has formed a habit. I feel awful that my baby has been working hard just to eat and the whole time I thought how she was eating was normal because there was no Pain at all. Anyone have any suggestions??
    Last edited by @llli*summermomma719; October 9th, 2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Typos

Default Re: I'm starting to get discourage and do t know what to do.

Welcome to the forum!

The first thing that always pops into my mind when there's a question about a baby's weight is the weighing procedure. Has baby always been weighed nude (or in a dry diaper) using the same scale every time? The reason I ask is that a lot of what you describe sounds normal- you're not in pain, the baby nurses frequently, and while the baby's nursing sessions are long they're not out of the ballpark for a 2 month-old baby.

Some things you might want to do:
    1. Pump, using a good quality double electric pump. If you're going to be supplementing, there's no reason to put formula in the bottles rather than breastmilk. If you produce the supplements yourself, you'll be keeping your supply equal to baby's needs.
    2. Get a professional scale and do some weigh-feed-weigh measurements yourself, at home. By weighing baby before and after feedings, and subtracting the before from the after, you can gain an accurate picture of how much your baby takes in while nursing. This is a much more accurate way of judging intake than watching the suck/swallow ratio.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Try not to get discouraged summermomma719. Even IF supplements are needed, (and i am not saying they are) all you have done and struggled through is so important to the health of your baby. Your milk is not failing your baby. Every drop of your milk is good for your baby. If baby cannnot get enough milk for some reason, there are many ways to approach that situation. And even if you decide to supplement, you can still nurse your baby.

1st, I agree with mommal. Scales matter. Scale error happens for a variety of reasons and it can be very alarming, totally needlessly.
    Assuming there was no scale error, over what period of time did baby gain 7 ounces? Overall, your baby has gained 32 ounces- 2 pounds- since baby's lowest known weight. Correct? And when was that lowest known weight measured?

Also, did baby ever poop frequently (at least 3-5 times a day?) and how do poops look now, and what is the frequency?

This mom has an older baby but she was also told to supplement by the pediatrician. You might want to read this thread. http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ght-Percentile

Pumping is another issue. I do have a Madela pump. The first month I was able to pump and even that have pumping 5 times in a day I'd only end up with a total of 4oz. Now, I can pump 20 minutes and if I'm lucky get an ounce. So it's discouraging

Poops are mustard yellow an liquid. She had more poops before. Now she has maybe 3 total a day. St birth she was 7lbs 7oz. By time we were discharged (few days later) we went to her first doctors visit. She was 6lbs 12 oz. a week later also my milk had finally come in within this week. She was 7lbs 9oz. Then at her 1 month visit she weighed 8lbs 5oz. And the. Yesterday her 2 month visit 8lbs 12oz

So first, at this point, birth weight is irrelevant. All weight gain must be measured from the lowest known weight.

From waht I can gather, accordign to the weight checks, Your baby gained 25 ounces -(6lbs 12 to 8lbs 5) in about 25 days. Right? So that is excellent gain. An ounce a day.

Then, for no apparent reason, with baby nursing just as often, in fact, nursing better, and pooping normally, baby gained only 7 ounces over the next 30 days (which averages out to a quarter of an ounce a day)? Without you noticing anything wrong?

It just does not make sense. Both you and your baby would have noticed if she was sudenly getting only a quarter of the food she was getting previously. don't you think?

Well the poop output sounds entirely normal. it is normla for poops to become less frequent sometime after 6 weeks of age. (In some cases, much less frequent, like, one a week or even less often.) So 3 a day at 2 months is sounding pretty darn good to me. And poops are usually a pretty good indicator that bsby is getting enough milk.

Also what amount you pump especially while full time breastfeeding means little if anything. (This is 'extra' pumping you were doing? Not due to supplementing or to separations?) there are many factors that effect pump output.

So,I am back to mommals first question then. Was baby weighed on the same scale and weighed correctly?

The first thing I would do is get baby weighed again. Seriously. If I am understanding correctly, your doctor is ONLY concerend due to the slow weight gain? Other growth factors normal? babies behavior/development normal? The output is normal... What comes out must have gone in, so that is telling us something different than the weight gain.