Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Back to School (need pumping advice)

Default Back to School (need pumping advice)

So i've read all the adivce about going back to work, but what about going back to school?? Pumping at work is different than pumping at school. Where should I pump? in the dirty bathroom stalls?? And where shall i store this milk? it's heartbreaking to throw milk away.. I dont have a car to go to because I get rides. I dont seem to make enough milk to pump between feedings or during them. And if i dont pump or nurse for extended times like at school my brests become painful! I want to take dance class.. i can't dance with painful engorged brests. Boy do i need answers! HELP! (I plan to go back to college spring semester)

Default Re: Back to School (need pumping advice)

Check with your student support group at your school. May I ask if you are returning to a High School or Uinversity? The options may be different depending where you are. You can Private Message this info to me if you wish.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Oh I'm going back to college.

Smile Re: Back to School (need pumping advice)

I work for a university and my DH works for another university. Both of our institution have programs to help out student moms. Check with your Student Government Association (SGA), Student Life and Leadership or Student Services at your institution. My institution does not have lactation rooms with pumps for you and a freezer/fridge) but 2 other universities in my area do. My institution will provide a quite and secure room you can use for pumping. Contact your school in advance and see what they can do. Also, if you need help PM me your institutions name and I will help you find out if they have any services that can help you.
    Best of luck!!
    M
    Last edited by @llli*mary.mud; November 21st, 2006 at 04:09 PM. Reason: clarity
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Good question! No, you shouldn't have to pump in a bathroom, and yes, you should be able to find some way to store your expressed breast milk. But I can certainly see the challenges involved in finding solutions for this.

Somewhere in the student government, student life, student health, or academic advising system, there should be someone whose job is to help students find solutions to problems like this. Do you have an academic advisor? I would start with that person, or with the student health office, to ask questions and speak up about what you need in order to return to college as a nursing mother. If there isn't already a system in place to provide mothers on campus with a private place to pump, then you might be able to get the ball rolling on something of that nature.

Thankyou both for your replys. I will find out about the student help centers. Any more adivce is welcome and appreciated!