Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: preparing for second child, pump advice?

Default preparing for second child, pump advice?

For my first born I used a medela pump in style original. I liked the varying speed and suction adjustment available. I no longer have that pump unfortunately. I need to buy a new one but money is a factor so as much as id like the PISA I can't afford it. I need a pump with strong suction and adjustments for speed and I'm on a 200 dollar cap. I've done a lot of research on pumps vacuum range. I've used both a lactina and a symphony for my first and both worked well but needed to be cranked up. I've decided Ameda PY wont work. So I've been looking at maybe a lansinoh or a Philips avent. I'm not sure about lansinoh but I'm torn between two of the avent pumps. The Isis IQ aka twin electric or the new comfort pump in the single version. Tandem pumping is not huge for me as I usually pumped one aide at a time anyway. I like that the Isis IQ allows you to set your rhythm and suction with control handle. I have become efficient at manuals it'd just get tiresome. I am interested if their new pump has this feature too but I can't tell by the description? As for the lansinoh i had a hard time with medelas hard flanges and I'm worried I will find the same for the lansinoh. Has anyone used these pumps? Do you have advice? Also I just wanted to mention too I have looked at the medela swing buy I'm afraid the motor wont be strong enough for me. I can't.find the mmhg on that one.

Default Re: preparing for second child, pump advice?

Are you planning on working full-time, or is this going to be a pump for part-time or occasional use? If you're going back full-time, then I encourage you to find a way to get a PISA. Maybe contact your local La Leche League? PISAs are supposed to be single user machines, but sometimes you will find a LLL mom who is looking to unload an old PISA "unofficially." if you don't think the APY is likely to work for you, then I don't know that the Isis IQ or Philips Avent are likely to be an improvement. I think they're all kind of the same range of machine.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Well I can't say for sure but I've used the manual and I hardly.got anything out in comparison to avent and medela manuals. I suppose it's unfair to judge the pumps electric counterpart based on the manual. Are the APYs found to be well liked?

Edit: I wont be returning to work for atleast 4 months and only part-time

Depends on the mom. It's the go-to machine for a lot of working moms. I, however, am not personally a fan of the APY. I found it underpowered for my needs, even when turned all the way up. My feeling is that if you respond best to strong suction, then you need to go a step up from the APY.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

What would be a step up from that?

Also check your insurance, with the healthcare changes pumps are now covered by insurance depending on your policy. I got a new Medela PISA in October fully covered by my insurance.
    Trying to keep up with a busy 3.5 year old Morgan Alexis born 11/5/09 at 6 lbs 5 oz and proud retired 1 year EP'er!

Nursing our new addition Jordan Catherine born 10/21/12 at 7 lbs 14 oz.

Total donated milk so far - 1,368 ounces!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*levismama View Post
    What would be a step up from that?
    PISA or Enjoye. Final step up is a hospital-grade rental.