Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Screaming after nursing

Default Screaming after nursing and always popping off

My DD is 6 1/2 months old and EBF. She has eczema on her cheeks, a little on her chest and behind her knees. She hasn't had any solids yet. She is a pretty happy baby and naps throughout the day and sleeps a good 7-9 hours at night usually.

Just a little about her

Now the question- almost every single time she nurses she screams afterwards! I guess it's probably because she needs to burp, but she seriously screams and screams till it comes and that can sometimes take a few minutes. As it happens I don't stop in between the two sides because then she'll scream then and I'd rather finish up so I can close my bra up and stand up to burp her... Should I change what I'm doing? Or do you think something else is the problem?
    I had asked my ped about allergies, but he sort of brushed it aside...

What do you think?

ETA
    She also VERY frustratingly comes off every 3-4 seconds till my milk comes in and so it takes EVEN LONGER for the let down. Right now I am letting her scream on my lap bec. I am so frustrated in putting her back on 10 times in 3 minutes!!!! Any advise is welcome
    Last edited by @llli*merlot; February 25th, 2013 at 06:10 PM. Reason: more onfo

Default Re: Screaming after nursing

So is baby fine after burping? Have you ruled out forceful letdown?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    So is baby fine after burping? Have you ruled out forceful letdown?
    After burping, yes she is fine. I'm not sure what a forceful letdown is? She seems to drink normally once my milk comes in- maybe gulping a bit quickly, but I thought that was normal. My other two kids didn't seem to have any issue with it.

Forceful letdown = milk coming out so fast that baby has trouble keeping up with the pace. Symptoms include:
    - mom has frequent feelings of engorgement or fullness
    - mom may feel strong letdowns or leak a lot
    - if pumping, mom may be able to obtain multiple oz of milk with ease
    - baby may be very gassy
    - baby may produce poops which are frequently or consistently green
    - baby may nurse quickly (sometimes in 5 minutes or less)
    - baby may appear to dislike comfort nursing
    - baby may cough, splutter, gag, or make a click or cluck noise while nursing
    - baby may pull off the breast while nursing, at which point mom may notice milk squirting or streaming from the breast
    - baby may slip up or clamp down on mom's nipple while nursing
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Forceful letdown = milk coming out so fast that baby has trouble keeping up with the pace. Symptoms include:
    - mom has frequent feelings of engorgement or fullness
    - mom may feel strong letdowns or leak a lot
    - if pumping, mom may be able to obtain multiple oz of milk with ease
    - baby may be very gassy
    - baby may produce poops which are frequently or consistently green
    - baby may nurse quickly (sometimes in 5 minutes or less)
    - baby may appear to dislike comfort nursing
    - baby may cough, splutter, gag, or make a click or cluck noise while nursing
    - baby may pull off the breast while nursing, at which point mom may notice milk squirting or streaming from the breast
    - baby may slip up or clamp down on mom's nipple while nursing
    Yup- probably have a forceful letdown! Thanks for the info, now what should I do with it?

There is lots you can do, I have linked an article below that has lots of ideas. I strongly suggest trying the ideas for helping baby handle the flow for a while before trying block feeding, as block feeding is likely to make ffld issues worse before it reduces overproduction enough to make it better.

ffld is a common issue., but it typically crops up much earier than 6 months. But you know what is weird? My baby daughter is the same age as your baby. I have overproduction and forceful letdown, and it had gotten much, much better after about 4 months. But just in the last week or so, it has become way more pronounced again, which in my baby shows up as big explosive poops and frequent spit up. I think it is because she is starting to go longer stretches between feedings. So I am back to actively trying to nurse more frequently and I try to nurse 'uphill' as much as I can.

forceful letdown http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

Is it possible to have slow and forceful letdown? At the same time? It's incredibly aggravating to sit down to bf and have her pop off e/few seconds till the letdown- which can take a while since she keeps coming off!!

I have no trouble believing that the on/off/on/off thing is annoying! Sometimes what is happening is that baby is having Goldilocks syndrome- she wants her milk delivered at a speed which is just right; not too fast and not too slow. So when she's working on getting a letdown started, and the milk is coming out too slow for her liking, she fusses. And when the letdown begins, and the milk is suddenly coming out too fast for her liking, she fusses.

I know it's really tempting to look for a way to make nursing easier for the baby so that she won't give you this weird behavior- but I think that the best thing you can do is to roll with it and let the baby learn how best to control the flow speed. Otherwise you can get stuck trying to maintain the "just right" condition with all sorts of interventions- like pumping before feeding, or doing lots of breast compressions, or whatever. Not worth it!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"