Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can they gain too much?

Default Can they gain too much?

Here are lo's weights in pounds and ounces:

birth: 6.4
    take home: 5.13
    1 week: 7.4
    4 weeks: 10.4
    6 weeks, 4 days: 12.1 (weighed at home on digi scale)

Can they gain too much? We go back for a check up Dec 6th.

Default Re: Can they gain too much?

My Dr. says BF babies cant gain too much...my kid has gained a ton too - at 3 weeks he was 11 lbs. 2 oz.! I asked if he was overweight and they said NO!

It's not unheard of for an exclusively-breastfed baby to gain weight very rapidly in the early months. Just don't be surprised if your baby's rate of weight gain slows dramatically as she gets older and more active. As long as you are nursing on cue, seeing plenty of wet diapers, and normal developmental milestones, your breastfed baby is growing the way she is "programmed" to grow, on the best nutrition possible -- momma's milk!

Sounds like she is thriving -- keep up the good work, and don't hesitate to post with other questions or concerns.

Yeah my 2 1/2 month old is nearly 18lbs!! He is huge! He was big at birth (8lb 14oz) and is out of the weight & height charts! I cant even tote him around it hurts my arms! But the benefit is that everyone at the daycare wants to hold and squeeze him all the time.. which has helped a TON in the daycare transition phase! Glad to know mine isnt the only child who seems to tip the scales!

Both my DD's were formula fed..now I am bfing my DS but he is only 7 weeks, so we'll see how his growth compares to theirs in a fw months. I can tell you that my nephew was EBF for a year and boy oh boy, he was so chubby at first...but by the time he turned one his weight gain started slowing down and his height caught up and he is perfectly "average" for his age now.
    My best friend had a boy last march. He has been FF from the start and at 8 months he weighs 31 pounds! What a big boy...his dr is not concerned though. The point is that all babies are different and some gain more earlier, some later. Your dr is the best person to ask this question of but I'm going to hazard a guess that the dr will be very pleased with how well your LO is thriving!

Yep, we had a mother at our group with a 32 pound 8 month old! He was the biggest baby I've ever seen. I saw her recently and her son is now 2 years old and weighs almost exactly the same. He just gained ALL of his weight for the first 2-3 years right off the bat!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Quote Originally Posted by LLL LactoJen View Post
    Yep, we had a mother at our group with a 32 pound 8 month old!
    Jen
    OMG!! I cannot even imagine. Mama must have some muscles. My almost 18 month old weighs about 27 pounds...

DD is 4 months @ 14 lbs and 24 inches... she was born 6lbs 3oz, 19"... ped didn't say anything during her checkup a few weeks ago, so you should be good

my lo is nearly 6 weeks old and weighed in yesterday at 12lb 5oz!

one in the eye for my mil who said maybe my breastmilk wasn't enough for my little lad