Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: spraying milk everywhere

Default spraying milk everywhere

I leak a lot and also have a "good" let down. I feel the let down quickly when a feeding starts and often have it several times. I also have let downs when not feeding. Earlier today I went to feed my DD who is 11 days old and my milk had apparently let down and I wasn't aware of it. It was literally squirting and spraying and I couldn't get her latched on because of it. After a few minutes of attempting to control it so I could latch her on I gave up and pumped instead. There was no way I could get her latched on with milk flowing so quickly. Plus it was making a huge huge mess and soaking both of us and everything nearby it seemed.

It was very frustrating. I could have gotten her latched on quickly but instead it turned into a 20 minute ordeal. Is this normal? I'm hoping it doesn't happen again.

Default Re: spraying milk everywhere

Sounds totally normal to me. If I am in a line at the store and someones baby cries I start leaking like crazy. heck, if I think about lo I start soaking my shirt!
    Its prolly hard for you to see the blessing here; you have an abundant source of milk for your very sweet looking dd! You just have alot of force behind it and lo is still a little young to deal with it right? Maybe you could pump off the really strong "spray" and then go back to latch on little darling?
    Last edited by carpentergirl; November 21st, 2006 at 11:11 AM. Reason: bad spelling!

This sounds VERY familliar to me. Check out this article and see if it sounds like what is going on, if so you may want to post some questions to the "to much milk" forum. There may be some post there already that may help.
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html
    HTH

Quote Originally Posted by momtobaby1 View Post
    I leak a lot and also have a "good" let down. I feel the let down quickly when a feeding starts and often have it several times. I also have let downs when not feeding. Earlier today I went to feed my DD who is 11 days old and my milk had apparently let down and I wasn't aware of it. It was literally squirting and spraying and I couldn't get her latched on because of it. After a few minutes of attempting to control it so I could latch her on I gave up and pumped instead. There was no way I could get her latched on with milk flowing so quickly. Plus it was making a huge huge mess and soaking both of us and everything nearby it seemed.

It was very frustrating. I could have gotten her latched on quickly but instead it turned into a 20 minute ordeal. Is this normal? I'm hoping it doesn't happen again.
    SAME thing happens to me, on my left breast. I just let the spray go in a burp cloth so it is easier for him to latch on. I let down when not nursing too - i have a lot of milk and leak a lot! My biggest issue is that is choke him when it is spraying too much, or too hard.

I think it is normal - or at least not abnormal. I am told it will even out as time passes

Wink Re: spraying milk everywhere

I joke my baby showers in breast milk every morning. I just keep my burp cloth handy and as she has gotten older it has descreased a little.. but we still have our mornings and afternoons.... but I really hope it is normal or we have a problem
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

yup same thing used to happen to us......if i remember right it wasnt really for too long...a few weeks probly.....and i did the same...used a burp cloth
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

That happens a lot to me, too. I just keep a receiving blanket nearby and when I feel the letdown coming, I pull the nipple out of his mouth and let it spray onto the blanket instead. When it's slowed down I give it back to him. This avoids the fussiness.