Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not taking bottle-help

Unhappy Not taking bottle-help

I go back to work soon have been breast feeding w an occasional bottle. Lately lo is refusing the bottle w my milk. I'm worried bc he's going to have to take it once I go bk to wrk so we're starting now. He cries n won't take the bottle any suggestions on what to do I don't want him to not eat n start loosing weight. He'll be 10 weeks this week. Pls help

Default Re: Not taking bottle-help

Have you found answers to your questions yet it1004? If you search this site you will find many articels on encouraging baby to take a bottle. Also this link may give some tips that will help, and certainly will help you and baby's caregiver when you are at work. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Are you the person giving your baby the bottle? Sometimes it helps if someone else gives the bottle. When mama is around, baby tends to wants milk straight from the tap Also, different babies prefer different nipples, so trying a few different kinds may help (always slowflow/newborn nipples).

It's so hard when they can't communicate and tell us what we can do to make things easier for them. Sometimes it's something as simple as temperature or nipple shape. Good luck, mama! Keep us posted.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Looks like you may need to go nipple shopping. Sometimes the baby will prefer a certain nipple over the other. Same goes for the paci. Maybe try the Medela nipple that is meant for breastfed babies. Here is the link for more info: http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/594/calma. Hope this helps..good luck!

Thanks ladies. Lo is now completely refusing bottle for the past 3-4 days trying dif nipples and nothing. Could it be my milk? Read a lil on lipase but not sure. Hubby n I tasted freshly expressed milk n in fridge for few days n it does taste diff. What to do? I have frozen milk how do I know if it's no good n what do I do with it? Does the milk have to reach a certain temp or the water? Freeze it right away or is it ok to put in fridge. Getting stressed :/ bc don't know if it's the milk or nipple.

Is your baby refusing even fresh, just expressed milk in the bottle? If so, it's probably not the milk.

Lipase affected milk has a soapy smell and taste. It's safe, but some babies refuse it.
    It's usually a problem after frozen storage but in some cases milk can be affected after being stored for a few days or even hours(?) in the fridge (I believe.)

But fresh, right from the breast milk won't taste different, so baby should not refuse that.
    What about cup feeding if bottles will not do at first?

Suggestions on what kind of cups? We're going to try dif nipples. Can I save milk that I already have frozen I tasted 1 so far n it tasted bad does that mean all my frozen milk is bad?