Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids. Mommy not ready.

Default Solids. Mommy not ready.

So I gave my LO a few tiny bites of butternut squash tonight. She's a week shy of 6 months, been sitting on her own for 3 weeks, and is very interested in my plate. She didnt gag or throw up or push it out with her tongue. And kept leaning over for more. So it seems she is ready. But now I'm sad and don't like the idea if not being her sole food source any more. She's satisfied with my milk only currently. Is it selfish to delay solids cuz I'm not ready?

Default Re: Solids. Mommy not ready.

Selfish? No, not really. Breastfeeding is one of the most selfless things you can do, it offers your child the best possible nutrition, so it is rational to be reluctant to let go of the breastfeeding relationship even if it's to such a small extent. That being said, I do think you need to let your child experiment with solids and eat them if she chooses.

Have you looked into baby-led solids? That's an approach to solids that is very compatible with breastfeeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The road to child led weaning is a long and gentle one. We started a form of BLS at 6 months but only now, at 16 months, would I say that my son eats any substantial non-milk meals. He still nurses 8-10x each day, too.

Breastfeeding will undoubtedly remain a central part of your child's diet well into the second year, and maybe even beyond. Don't worry about introducing solids, as the role of breastfeeding also gradually shifts from nourishment to nurturing over time.

Thanks guys for the kind words. We are going to do baby led solids. I had just given her a little off my finger. We will see how she does finger painting the squash I mean feeding herself lol. It was just unplanned and I was second guessing myself and then got a bit emotional. It's all going soooo fast. I mean I swear she was just a brand new baby yesterday.

I remember feeling the way you're feeling back when we started solids Looking back now, it seems silly, because my DS is 16 months and still nurses like crazy, probably at least 8x/day. Just because you start solids doesn't mean the breastfeeding relationship is over--not even close But at the time, it was how I felt and very real to me. Give it some time, your feelings will shift. She's still just a tiny little thing who needs Mommy very much. The introduction of solids with BLS is very gradual--I would say it's only just now at 16 months that my son's diet is probably about 50% solids, 50% breastmilk. (And that's only because I work and am not there to nurse during the day--days I'm home, he often wants to nurse non-stop). Your breastmilk will remain a very important part of your LO's diet for quite a long time to come. This isn't the end of anything, it's just the beginning of a new, exciting stage!
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

I know how you feel--I felt the exact same way. We started DD on solids a few weeks ago, and I was a little sad at first. I think I'm mostly over that now, just because it'sfun to see how much fun she has with exploring food. It's just a whole new adventure. Good luck!

Agreed. At 16 months, I consider ~20%-25% solids to be hearty complementary eating.