Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not enough feedings during the day?

Default not enough feedings during the day?

My baby is 3.5 month old and started sleeping from 11 pm to 9-930 am, dropping 2 feedings, she doesnt wake up at night and happy and smiley in the morning. However, we are down to only 5 feedings during the day and im afraid its not enough.
    What is your baby schedule?

Default Re: not enough feedings during the day?

At that age, my girls nursed every 1-3 hours during the day and the night. They probably nursed about 10-12 times a day, minimum. And they had no schedule- at least, not one that I imposed. All their routines were self-generated.

While there are definitely some babies who can get all their needs met in just a few feedings per day, the average baby needs a minimum of 8 feedings per 24 hour period. I personally would not be comfortable letting a baby drop down to 5 feedings at just 3.5 months, so I'd take steps to change that pattern. I'd definitely offer the breast frequently during the daytime hours, even if the baby seems fairly uninterested. I think I'd aim to offer every 2-3 hours, or even more often if possible. At night, I'd make sure the baby slept in close proximity to me (so that I wouldn't miss her early hunger cues) and I'd reduce/eliminate my use of swaddling and pacis, since those 2 things can contribute to longer sleep stretches and less nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She does take both breasts every 2.5-3 hours during the day and we dont use swaddle or paci , she also sleeps in a bassinet right next to me all night.

That's great! How's her weight gain been? Is she peeing/pooping as she should?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

she is 13lb 13oz , average gain about 5 oz /week. Peeing good and poops at least once a day. I`ve tried dreamfeeding her but she falls asleep

Hmm. Her weight gain is on the slow side of average (see http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/) but her overall weight is just fine (see http://kellymom.com/images/growth/growthcharts.gif). I would try to cram in 2-3 more feedings per day, even if she doesn't seem to want them- but I'm just a little paranoid that way!

It seems unlikely that your LO will sleep through for long- most babies revert to night-waking at some point. Then this will all be moot!

According to the links she is average, thats good to know, thanks for posting. I guess i should not be that worried after all)

Not that worried, but still cautious, IYKWIM. 5 feedings a day at 3.5 months is really, really low. For most babies, that's just not enough, so I really do think it makes sense to offer proactively.

Another thing you need to be careful with- if you're not already, and you're not ready for another baby- is birth control. Once a baby is going such long stretches at night without eating, there's a very good chance that your fertility will return, and since many women ovulate before having their first postpartum period... You get my drift! I mean, you probably know all this but on occasion we get a mom coming through the forum who assumes that breastfeeding always provides reliable protection against pregnancy- which it doesn't!

My 6 month old nurses at least 10 times a day.

We know that "baby training" (prolonging time between nursing sessions) leads to babies nursing about 5-6 times a day by this age, and that baby training has, consequently, been linked to low milk production and poor weight gain. So even though you are cue feeding and not baby training, since baby is nursing with a similar frequency to babies that are, that is something to think about.

If baby is cue feeding, is 5 times in 24 hours enough for this age? How often a baby NEEDS to nurse to get enough milk will depend on many factors-moms production, mom's "storage capacity", baby's intake per feeding...But a baby this age typically needs at least 25 ounces of breastmilk per day, so only nursing 5 times would mean baby taking at least 5 ounces per feeding! That would be an unusually large feeding.

The other side of the coin is moms milk production and if -or rather, how much-nursing this infrequently will lower production.

I would suggest definitely gently encouraging baby to nurse at least slightly more frequently. There certainly is not harm in nursing more often.