Let me start by saying, I'm ready to give up. My baby and I are both miserable and presently can't stand one another. There have been a lot of tears in my house lately.
Things started out great. He breastfed like a champ until 8 weeks when he started to fall off of his growth curve. For the past 4 weeks, it's been an increasing battle to get him to the breast. The only time I am somewhat successful is when he is drowsy and/or asleep and sometimes it's a struggle because he fully wakens and screams his head off. When he is awake - forget about it. He either will accept the breast for a total of 2 minutes, most of which he is latching and unlatching, or he will scream, cry, writhe, twist and kick until we both give up. He will, however, take a bottle of expressed breastmilk from my husband, who is becoming more and more willing to give him a bottle just to make him stop crying.
1) I don't believe I have low supply. When I pump while my husband gives a bottle, I can generally get 2.5+ ounces out of a single breast. I also don't believe that I have oversupply.
2) I have tried all sorts of different positions - side lying (he kicks and backs away); reclined (he pinches my nipple and leans back); cradle hold in a dark room in a rocking chair (he kicks and twists away).
3) The bottles are slow flow nipples and he isn't getting more than 2-3 ounces at any one feeding.
4) I have eliminated dairy/soy from my diet since these seemed problematic for him at the beginning (projectile spit up)
5) There is a question of whether he is bothered by reflux, but I can't understand why he doesn't reject the bottle but rejects the breast.
I don't understand what I am doing wrong and I am becoming so sad that this isn't working because this is precisely when my older daughter started refusing me for nursings and we ultimately switched to bottles of expressed breastmilk supplemented with formula. I wanted this experience to be different and I know I am failing.