Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk at daycare

Default Milk at daycare

Hello,

My DD is 13mo. She is in daycare from 9-5 each day and has been having (2) 4oz bottles while there along with her lunch and snacks. She has never been a huge eater, hence the 4oz bottles. She still nurses 2-3x a night. Now that she is 13mo they want to take her down to (1) 4oz bottle a day and give her water or whole milk in a sippy in place of the other bottle. DD has never been introduced to whole milk. I asked about a cup with BM but they will not do that because of concern that another child might get a hold of the cup. Should I try a larger bottle once a day and see if she'll take more?

This is the longest I've ever BF. With my two older boys, I could only do 6 weeks due to my situation then (was a teen in high school with first and had horrible recurrent mastitis/lack of knowledge with 2nd). So I'm not really sure what BF/working/daycare should look like at this point in our nursing relationship.

Guess I'm looking for insight/experience with the dropping the one bottle/switch to cows milk. I still plan on nursing at home as long as she likes. She LOVES nursing and I don't think she'll give it up anytime soon. Just want to give her whats best for her.

Thanks for your help!
    Mom of 3- Two boys ages 17 and 13 and one sweet baby girl, born 1/19/12
    Pumping once a day and nursing whenever we're together

Default Re: Milk at daycare

I'm confused -- they think another baby could get a hold of a cup, but not a bottle? They want to give her the water or whole milk in a cup? I still pump 2x a day at work and my LO has 2 sippy cups of BM a day (we have a nanny, though, so she does what we ask). I'm not pumping nearly as much as you anymore -- she has about 2 oz. 2x a day if I can manage to get that much. I think it's up to you -- lots of babies don't get any milk from their mamas left during the day after the 1-year point. I think they say if you're nursing 3-5 times a day that should be enough. Even though I'm pretty sick of pumping, I like to leave it, because my LO is healthy and I don't want to mess with anything just yet. She's a pretty picky eater so it makes me feel better. We also are not fans of cow's milk in our house. If you feel better leaving it as 2 bottles, then I'm sure they can find a way. One 8 oz. bottle seems excessive.

That doesn't entirely make sense to me that they're afraid another kid will get it, and that they find that a problem only with breast milk. Maybe I'm missing something. But if you are comfortable leaving one 4 oz. bottle a day, that's probably enough and you'll still be nursing when you're together (3x a day, right?).
    Last edited by @llli*filmmommy; February 22nd, 2013 at 03:08 PM.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

with #2, due mid-June. Will I ever sleep again?

Yeah, I question it too. I asked if it was a health regulation and its not. Its just a rule they have there at the daycare. I think I'm the only one in the class that still nurses. I can see that only because they write BM under their name on their bottle bin that goes in the fridge. I wonder if they just don't deal with it much so its easier to squash the one or two moms who do?

I have actually started to pump wean and am down to one pump per day. That is enough for two 4-4.5 oz bottles each day. I am a super producer. Still leak sometimes too! As for her nursing, I nurse maybe once after we get home, once at night right before bedtime around 830-9. Then she wakes at 1am to nurse. Then again around 4am. Then again around 7am when we're getting ready to get up.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I wonder if they just don't deal with it much so its easier to squash the one or two moms who do?
    This, exactly.

If YOU want YOUR baby to keep on having a bottle or sippy of breastmilk, insist on it. YOUR baby, YOUR rules- at least when it comes to what she is fed. A sippy of breastmilk isn't more of a problem for the other kids than a sippy of cow's milk, provided that someone is actually watching the kids when they are using their sippies. And someone should be- if sippy swapping is a problem, that is.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i'm with the other mom's on this one. you are the mom and you decide what your daycare providers will feed your baby. it makes no sense that they should be concerned with bm vs cows milk. my daycare provider suggests that the child move from a bottle to a cup at one year. i couldn't wait to pump wean so switching to cows milk when we were away from each other was easy for me but if i was still pumping i would be sure that my child was drinking my breast milk and not cows milk! and the switching cups is ridiculous. i would suggest that they "watch" your child (as if you are not paying for them to do this already) while she is drinking her milk and be sure that no one else is taking her cup.
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11

Yep. It's pretty common (though not necessary by any means) to "pump wean" at 12 months. I see no problem with their plan except that it is YOUR decision, not theirs. Period. If it's not what you want to do, then stand your ground. I don't understand why they can't give two bottles, but if there is some legitimate reason, do they have any individual high chairs for your LO to sit in while drinking the cup of BM so it's not in reach of the other kids? All the daycares I've ever been in had a mix of group and individual seating for the little ones.

Thanks for all the advice! I really love knowing I have a community behind me to support me. I decided to go with the flow and try the new schedule. If she does fine, then great. But if not, I will insist on it be my way. So in place of her morning bottle, she now has a cup with water and a snack. Then later she has her lunch. And then she'll have an afternoon bottle. I am now making that bottle a bit larger 5-6oz vs. her normal 4. She done really well so far and they said she didn't seem to mind or get cranky with the switch like many do. So that's a good sign.

Thanks again for all the support!
    Mom of 3- Two boys ages 17 and 13 and one sweet baby girl, born 1/19/12
    Pumping once a day and nursing whenever we're together