Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1 month old mommy feeding questions!

Default 1 month old mommy feeding questions!

My little guy has been breast feeding perfectly since day one...or so I thought. In the past 2 weeks I have been having a very painful left nipple when he latches and throughout. I don't have any cracking and I believe he is latching correctly, I've watched several videos. I could definitely be wrong though. I've found laying down is the best way to go, this doesn't hurt as bad. I also believe I have a blocked duct on the left side. It feels like a knot on the bottom of my breast. I've tried several suggestions such as warm compress, cold gel packs, and massaging. In between each feedings my nipples are still very sore. I don't know if they should be "toughen up" by now or not. I want to completely empty out the milk on the left side each time, I just find it very painful. This is probably all over the place but any suggestions would be wonderful!

Default Re: 1 month old mommy feeding questions!

hi kristenmarie, congrats on your dear new baby!

Is the nipple pain only on the left side? is the nipple pain new or has it always beeen somewhat painful to nurse?

Has baby's weight gain been good? And about how many times a day does baby nurse?

Sometimes when a baby is not able to latch well, it may look fine, and baby may even still be getting plenty of milk, but it can lead to a sore nipple and, sometimes, "plugs" in the milk duct. Does this sound like it may be the issue?

Massage and heat are becoming slightly less favored as ways to deal with plugs, as it is thought they can increase inflamation, and instead using cold and vibration (like with an electric toothbrush) is thought to sometimes work better. It's all pretty individual what works. I will link at the botton two good articles about plugs.

For the painful latch, sometimes there is a limit to what you can do on your own and it makes sense to get in person help. You could contact your local LLL or other breastfeeding support group and/or, consider seeing an IBCLC (Board Certified lactation Consultant.)

I want to completely empty out the milk on the left side each time, I just find it very painful.
    Don't worry about completly empting the breast. There really is no such thing as your body is always producing milk. I know you want to be able to get that plug out, but your nipple pain has to be considered as well. If long nursing sessions hurt too much, you could try shorter ones, but offer the breast more frequently. You could also try hand expression or pumping on that side (best if this happens as well as nursing rather than instead of) to try to work the plug out.

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf

Excellent advice from LLLMeg!

Just want to add that your nipples will NEVER "toughen up," nor are they supposed to. Your nipple is delicate and sensitive for a reason: when there is nipple pain or discomfort from the baby's latch, that is your body's way of telling you that you need to keep working on the latch and trying to improve it. Because a latch that hurts can be a latch that causes plugged ducts or poor milk transfer.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks so much. This cleared up a lot of questions I had. The pain is only on the left side and has been going on for 2 weeks now. Baby is gaining weight and is using the bathroom good. You are spot on with the issue about the milk duct. Ive been working on either him feeding on that side and if he doesn't I pump. Will this help? I have been feeding on demand, every 45 minutes to 1.5 hours. I plan on contacting my local league if I can't work on the latch this weekend. Last night I nursed him while laying down. I find this hurts the least. I think he got the best latch yet! Thanks so much for the help ladies!

keep working on that latch, different positioning can make a big difference. yes get in person help of any kind that is available to you! keep trying the ideas in the articles for the plug.

Anyone else have ideas for helping krstenmarie with this owie latch?

If side-lying works, use it! I nursed my first pretty much exclusively in the side-lying position until she was around 4 months old. When you have a latch issue and a newborn, use what works. Other positions come in time, as the baby grows.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If you find something that works (Like side laying) go with it!

What kind of nipple pain are you talking about? An aching in it or like a stinging, almost sunburn feeling? The aching could be the blocked duct. If it's a stinging like a sunburn, try not wearing a bra and giving your nipple some air time. I know with my girls in those early days, until we could get our latch down pat, I'd feel like I was sunburnt. No bra, airtime and sometimes some lanolin would help.

Congrats on your baby!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and