Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Returning to work - advice?

Default Returning to work - advice?

Hello! I am returning to work in about 5 weeks, and looking for a bit of guidance. My LO will be 12 months upon my return. He is currently nursing 6 times a day, and eats (generally) very well 3 meals and 2 snacks each day. I am committed to continue nursing while back at work, and am guessing that I will nurse in the morning before I leave, in the afternoon when I pick him up and before bedtime. I don't think I will pump while away from him, unless I experience engorgement or have supply issues. I'm wondering how best to transition my little guy into this new nursing routine. He will be at a day home in our neighbourhood from 830 - 445 Monday through Friday. Any advice for how to approach the next couple of weeks? And for the first few weeks of work? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Returning to work - advice?

Hi, what are your concerns about this new routine? Have you been apart from him at all; if so for how long and how does that work out for both of you emotionally & physically? Does he take expressed breastmilk; if so how?

Hi! I am just wondering if he will have a hard time adjusting to the fewer nursing sessions. I have only spent one day away from him (8 hours) since he was born. He never took a bottle, so I didn't get into pumping much. Now he will take expressed milk in a cup, so if I am out at bedtime for a meeting or something, my husband or mom can give it to him that way. The one day I was away from him, he was a champ for my mom. Ate super well and went down well for naps, etc. Obviously I am quite apprehensive about returning to work! Another question I have is about what to do for him during the day - do I need to substitute for the breastmilk, or no? I am undecided about giving my little guy cow's milk right now. Thanks again for your input!

Given you have been apart that one time only I would try it again just so he is used to being without you. I know it's hard to leave him but it's better for him to get used to it? Maybe do a half-day from him to start if you haven't done so already. This way you can also figure out if you're going to have to pump and make arrangements for pumping at work (pumping space, milk storage space). I pumped twice a day at work up until my now 2-1/2 year old turned one. He was (and still is) a frequent nurser. After I stopped pumping at work I didn't have any engorgement/supply issues. I didn't pump at home either. As for breastmilk vs. cow's milk I would definitely strive to give him breastmilk if he is willing to take it expressed. I didn't think to give my first expressed bm but I definitely will with my second (going back to work in a week and a half...boo hoo hoo). So I think because he's already going to be one and getting most of his nourishment from solids he will be fine. My concern is how he will adjust to being apart from mommy. At least he's older and not still an infant, you're soo lucky to have had a longer babymoon! Will you be able to nurse him on your lunch break?

We will do about a week of transitioning him - unfortunately due to some extenuating circumstances, we can't do much more than that. It will start at a few hours, then a half day, and then a full day. When I was away from him for the 8 hour stretch, I found it hard to pump and get much milk, but you're right, I will be able to tell better once this week rolls around. Do you think I should be aiming to leave expressed breastmilk with the day home provider or will he get enough from me from the 3 sessions? He takes water in a cup as well. I won't be able to nurse on a lunch break as my office is too far to travel from in the short time. And I know, I am very appreciative to have had a year - it is crazy to me that things are so different in Canada and the U.S.

Hi mama, the rule of thumb is that if baby is nursing at least 3 times in 24 hours - which it sounds like he will be - then you don't have to offer any additional dairy. And if he's not nursing that much, if you don't want to do cow's milk yet, you can do yogurt or cheese. I don't think he will have trouble with fewer nursing sessions. Most moms (myself included) pump wean at a year. So if I were going back at a year I wouldn't bother pumping at all. If he wants more breastmilk, he'll nurse more often when you are together. And there's no reason not to nurse on demand when you're together, whether it's now or on the weekends when you go back to work. I think if you're together and you withhold nursing it will just be confusing for him, whereas he will know that when you're not there, nursing is not an option. It's totally normal to be apprehensive about going back to work, and sometimes it takes a bit to ease into the new routine, but my experience has been that it's harder on me than on my LO!