Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I take sage longer than 3 days

Default Can I take sage longer than 3 days

Hi all

I am in the process of weaning my 7 month old. I plan to do this gradually and have dropped one feed in favor of formula. I have 5 more to go. Since the beginning I have suffered from blocked ducts. They have been awful and painful. I got better at clearing them, but kept coming back. Part of the problem is that I have oversupply and it never truly regulated. Anyway, now that I am weaning, I am trying to be cautious so I don't get mastitis. I am using cabbage leaves and also consuming dried sage 1/4 teaspoon 3 times a day. Per Kelly Mom, it should be had for 3 days. I am on my third day of sage and I see some reduction in supply but not much. I would like to take it for longer. Is that ok to do? Is it safe for the baby? Anyone took it for longer?

Thanks!

Default Re: Can I take sage longer than 3 days

I think it's safe. Add in some peppermint, as well- that's also supposed to be helpful. And please do go slow- when you have an oversupply problem and plugged ducts you want to give your body extra time to get the message that the milk it's making isn't needed.

Mama, I don't mean to be pushy or nosy... But do you have any interest in breastfeeding longer, maybe until your baby's first birthday? And if so, is there anything about breastfeeding which is getting you down and causing you to feel like you need to wean? Because maybe we can help with that. No pressure, of course! But you're so close to making it to a year... I only want you to throw in the towel if you're sure you're ready.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"