Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tongue thrust at 8 months?

Default Tongue thrust at 8 months?

My daughter is 8 months old and still appears to have the tongue thrust reflex. Is it normal for it to still be around this late? She basically sticks out her tongue whenever she takes a bite and scrapes the food off on her lips. We gave her her first tastes at 6 months but have admittedly not been consistent at all with offering.

Default Re: Tongue thrust at 8 months?

I don't think it's out of the ballpark for a kid to still tongue-thrust at 8 months. I mean, that reflex is usually gone by around 6 months but for every kid who loses it early there's sure to be one who loses it late.

Could it be that your LO isn't tongue-thrusting- i.e. thrusting food out of her mouth- so much as she is using her outthrust tongue to get food off her lips?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Well, I guess I don't know for sure what a true tongue thrust reflex looks like, but basically, with every bite she immediately sticks out her tongue and then uses her lips to get the food off. Maybe she just doesn't want solids? She doesn't act upset or anything and does actually open her mouth for bites (I'm not sneaking them in or anything). The food just comes immediately back out...

Maybe try getting the behavior on video and showing it to the pediatrician?

This link was reassuring: http://www.babycareadvice.com/babyca...icle.php?id=41
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My DD hated to be spoon fed, and really dint start to accept food until about 10 months old. Fast forward she is now 4 and a better eater then my 7yo son, who as a baby ate earlier and accepted the spoon!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK