Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: low supply in one breast

Default low supply in one breast

so after all of my oversupply issues, i am realizing that juniper has been favoring the right side. i now get daytime leaking and lopsided, big boob syndrome on the right.
    BUT-
    my left side, however, she will hardly nurse on. it takes a super long time for let down, and she doesn't put up with that. fusses and cries, ready for the oversupplying big right side. so after 5 minutes of frustration on the left, i give her the right until she is content (and usually falls asleep).
    yesterday i started pumping for 8 minutes or so on the left side about 3-4 times a day, when she is finished nursing. i'm hoping to increase the supply there so she will nurse., which i know is best to maintain supply. i get less than half an ounce during my 8 minute session, and the breast feels completely empty. i do massage during this time. i am totally worried about such a small amount. i know it is not necessarily indicative of the actual supply, but i do know it is a sign.. i used to pump for less than 5 minutes and get like 4 ounces!
    will pumping the left help to increase the supply? should i bother? she is 10 months old, and i know she will want to nurse to sleep through at least a year. should i just keep her on the right side?, or try and get supply going on the left? SOS

Default Re: low supply in one breast

Is the lopsidedness bothering you? If it is, you can continue to offer the left side first, as you were doing before. I don't think there's any need to pump. Clearly you have plenty of milk, and with your history of oversupply issues, I don't think you want to get into a situation where you pump yourself into both breasts being overly full are leaking. If the lopsidedness isn't bothering you, you can let her be a one-sided nurser.

it really doesn't bother me much, especially since we are far into the game. if she were 3 months old, i would know it was a long road ahead.. but since we are like, half way through, it isn't an esthetic issue for me. i mean, as she grows and eats more food, she will need less milk, right? so maybe my breast won't be as big down the road? i don't know, i'm just guessing! can one breast provide for her? will i get BIGGER?!
    i'm worried that offering the left is frustrating to LO, since she isn't getting anything out of it. she gets POed. i wonder if i were to increase supply and let-down, if she would still reject it after being let down by it so much for the past few weeks..
    ugh. luckily i have a really good sense of humor about this now.. if it were months ago, i would be freaking out, but now i think it is a small issue compared with the problems i could be having! this is less than a struggle, i guess

Yes, you can successfully breastfeed with one breast. Women who have had breast cancer and mastectomy, for example, can still successfully nurse. And there are babies out there who just prefer one breast over the other. Amysmom has a post today about her one-sided nurser turning one - check it out! And yes, after age one, juniper will gradually eat more solids and take in less breast milk. Since she's mostly feeding off the right breast right now anyway I don't know that it will get too much bigger. I see your logic about pumping up the left breast but I think the downside of overall oversupply if you go down that road, plus the inconvenience of pumping, makes it not worth it. Glad you are having a sense of humor about it!