Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: We hit a year!

Default We hit a year!

DD3 turned 1 year on Saturday! Adding her 12 months, I have now nursed babies a total of 44 months! I'm hoping to nurse her for another year and to play it by ear. There are no plans for any additional babies, so there shouldn't be a pregnancy to impact nursing this time.

Nursing DD3 has been unique. She hasn't had a single drop of formula. Unlike DD1 who was started on formula in the NICU and weaned onto the breast. Unlike DD2 who was giving the odd bottle here and there over the first month.

I was incredibly regimented when it came to switching sides with DD1 and DD2. My left side is a little flat and has always produced a little less. Being militant about switching kept the supply on the left side flowing. This time, I just couldn't be bothered. Left never produced enough for a full feeding. So it would always mean switching sides and take longer. Whereas my right side could satisfy a full feeding consistently. It still produces a little but I'm essentially a right side only nurser and have been for about 3 months now.

Teething is challenging. She slowly bites more to apply counter-pressure on her sore gums. I've been getting pretty sore. With being a one sided nurser, there's no break. She's been up almost hourly during the night, so I'm pretty tender and tired by morning. Luckily she gives me a bit of a break in the morning and it hasn't impacted our nursing.

All in all she's a loving, sweet little girl who is crawling, pulling up a bit, blowing kisses and playing peek a boo. For Valentine's Day she said Mum with a smile for the first time. Solid foods are now picking up and she's quite vocal about wanting what her big sisters have. We're very blessed.

Anyway, I thought I'd give you all the update.
    Last edited by @llli*amysmom; February 20th, 2013 at 11:19 PM.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: We hit a year!

Congrats amysmom, so wonderful to hit that milestone! And happy birthday to your LO!

Congrats!

Awesome job, mama! Right from day 1.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Right behind you, Mama

I, too, can see myself nursing much longer this time around; no future babies in sight, just as you said.

This third baby has been a dream...
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

I have to say that while my girls in general have been very, very good, DD3 has been the one that I've been able to really enjoy. DD1 with her scary, early entrance. DD2 with coming to terms with splitting my attention between my girls. With DD3, with so many of the 'unknowns' behind me, I've just been able to enjoy her. Time always passes by way too fast with little ones. I swear this time has FLOWN by.

I really appreciate the support that I've received here over the years. I highly doubt I would have been the parent I've been without you ladies. I'm proud of what I've been able to accomplish and you are all a very big part of that. Thank you!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and