Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting through a nursing strike - help!

Default Getting through a nursing strike - help!

After a series of rough events when he was five weeks old, my now 7-week old son went on a nursing strike. He had gotten bloody sores in his mouth from a thrush treatment and we had a very stressful week with visitors, me going to work part-time and him getting bottles, plus a serious lack of sleep. He was on strike for about 5 days where he was getting almost everything from bottles and I was pumping, but I did all of the coaxing that everyone recommends and we have been bottle-free for 5 days. It is still harrowing every feed though and very tenuous, which is especially hard since he was such a champion nurser before. Part of the problem is my oversupply and overactive letdown. I am block feeding and using reclined positions to try to manage it, but it is still really overwhelming. Sometimes he handles it like a champ but sometimes he just screams and screams if he gets anywhere near my breasts.

Has anyone here gone through a nursing strike with a baby this small? How long did it take you to get back to baseline? Did it ever revert? I know it will be a slow road of two steps forward and one step back and I'm trying my best to be super patient, but it would be great to hear from anyone else who may have been through it for support.

Thanks so much!
    Mom to Miles, born 1/1/13

Default Re: Getting through a nursing strike - help!

We didn't go through an all out strike but ds was a reluctant nurser quite often in the early months. Before my OALD calmed, nearly every feeding was a battle. I had a lot of success using ice packs on my breasts for 10-20 min before he nursed. It was tricky to time but he choked much less. He also liked the taste of lanolin, if I put a small dab on the nipple when he'd refused he would sometimes latch on. Taking a bath with him also encouraged him (I'd recommend a helper to hand you baby). Hope you make it through!