Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weight gain during feeding

Default Weight gain during feeding

Does anyone know how many grams baby should gain during a pre-and post breast-feeding session?
    mom to four energetic kids ages 6,7,8 and our newest arrival born 8/14/2012

Default Re: Weight gain during feeding

Depends on a lot of factors, like how long it's been since the previous feeding, time of day, baby's mood, growth spurts, etc... Which is why you really can't base anything on a single weigh-feed-weigh. But about 2 ounces I believe would be average.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...gsep06p51.html

It's not really an answer to your question but an offshoot of still.here's answer. It goes through situations where pre/post weights can help or hinder and how to properly read the amount you get. But I agree with still.here, 2-4 oz is typical.

: Ita with the PPs. 2-4 oz is average, but there's a wide range of variation around that average. A really hungry baby might take in 4-5 oz in the early morning when milk is extra abundant, while a baby who isn't hungry and just needs a quick comfort nursing session might take in 1 oz or even less. That's why a single weigh-feed-weigh test isn't all that useful!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"