Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply to not enough? Work pumping question...

Default Oversupply to not enough? Work pumping question...

So, I'm pretty sure I had an oversupply problem (on average when I pumped at work each breast would produce 5-6 oz). I switched to block feeding which has helped with my baby's fussiness and I'm now able to sleep through the night.

However, now when I pump at work (and I have only been pumping one side every 3 hrs to keep on his schedule) my output is greatly reduced. This morning I was only able to pump ~2.5 oz, which does not seem enough....

Should I start pumping both sides while at work and still only feed on one? Should I pump more often? Should I start offering the other breast when he comes off when I'm feeding?

Help.

Default Re: Oversupply to not enough? Work pumping question...

hi skalll, I'm an oversupply mama too. I usually nurse off of only one side at a time, but I pump both breasts at the same time at work. It's just so much more efficient that way. And at this point I agree, if you are pumping every 3 hours, you want to be pumping 3 oz at a time at least, since baby will drink 1 - 1.5 ounces/hour. But I think you'll have no trouble doing that if you pump both breasts together. If you start getting back into oversupply issues, decrease your pumping frequency. Again, you can use the 1.5 ounces/hour at your gauge. If you pump every 3 hours and you get 6 ounces, you might want to decrease your pumping frequency to every four hours (both breasts). If you pump every 4 hours and get 6 ounces, then you know you're good.

with the excellent advice from the PP. I'd definitely start pumping both breasts when you're at work. At home, you can continue to do one-sided feedings if that is working for you, or you can start offering both breasts at a feeding and see what happens. Most moms with oversupply ultimately need to transition to feeding on both breasts at a time.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had over supply and DS always took only one side per feeding when we were together, HOWEVER, when I was at work I had to pump BOTH sides every 3-4 hours in order to keep up with his bottles for when we were apart. Pumps simply do not remove milk as well as a baby, so you are going to have to pump both sides every time. If you are going to be working full days multiple days a week then you need to invest in a double electric pump (if you haven't already).
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Thank you for the advice! I will pump both sides while at work and then continue to feed on only one - until he asks for more!

I did invest in a pump I have the Medela FreeStyle - but one last question...if I'm pumping both sides should I pump to a volume (like 4-5 oz) or for a period of time - or just until flow slows?

I pump until I'm drained. If low supply becomes a concern, you want to pump longer. On the other hand, if you find yourself having ongoing oversupply issues, then you want to pump for a shorter time. 15-20 minutes is an "average" pump time. A mom with oversupply/good pump response may get by with 10. A mom with low supply or one who struggles with pump output (doesn't sound like your situation currently) may want to do 30 minutes or more to try to get a second letdown. This may also change with time too - a lot of mothers have relative oversupply early on, but later in the first year find themselves having to up the pumping to get the same amount of milk.

Pump until the flow stops. If you find that doing that isn't yielding enough ounces for the time you are away, then consider breast compressions/massage to get more each session. I am doubtful that pumping every 3 hours is going to make your OS worse, but if you find that that is, I would suggest spreading out your pumping sessions to every 4-5 hours and still empty your breast completely.

I was able to provide 14-16 oz per day on 2 pumping session while away from DS for 9-11 hours. No doubt this was due to my body's tendency for OS. Watch your outputs and adjust accordingly.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Excellent advice! Thank you all. Pumping at work is going much better and I'm able to get enough milk for the kiddo.

I will watch carefully to make sure we don't head back into the OS territory. It's helpful to know what approximate oz/hr I should shoot for. Now if only I could resolve the blocked ducts!!! (already on the lecithin supplement - but really they aren't too bad in the whole scheme of things)

Thank you all!