Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump is causing blisters

Default Pump is causing blisters

My LO is 9 months and I have been back at work sice she was 10 weeks. I have pumped with essentially the same routine and results since returning to work. Two days ago I began to develop blisters around both nipples. All equipment and cleaning has remained the same. Any ideas on what could be causing this or how to mend my injured breasts?

Default Re: Pump is causing blisters

Just a shot in the dark - maybe the flange size needs to change? I've heard from some moms that breast size/shape can change over the course of breastfeeding, and a flange that fits in the beginning may not fit as well later on and they have to switch to a different size. If that's happened for you, and the flanges aren't fitting properly, they could be rubbing/causing irritation. Do you have other sizes to experiment with?

Default Re: Pump is causing blisters

Good suggestion from the PP.

When I hear that a mom who has been nursing/pumping for a long time with no problems is suddenly having pain or skin changes (including things like blistering, cracking, dry or flaking skin, nipples appearing red/pink/shiny), my first thought is thrush.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"