Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: mixing breast milk and formula ( stupid question maybe?)

Looking for a Dry place .. Long Island, NY

Default mixing breast milk and formula ( stupid question maybe?)

Is it safe to mix breast milk and formula in the same bottle?

to keep the lil ones focus and decrease her fustration.. instead of doing a bottle of breast milk then a bottle of formula is it safe if i make my formula bottle to spec then add an oz of breast milk.

I only produce about 8 oz of milk a day ( im still working on fixing this )
    I dont mix it stright into the milk i kno that is dangerous for digestion. I mix the formula powder with water as if i was only giving formula ( 2 oz bottle ) and then add 1 oz of breast milk. She almost allways eats the full 3 oz if not more so its not waisting my little bit of breast milk i make. I'm just wondering if this can screw up digestion or is it no different from feeding back to back.

Default Re: mixing breast milk and formula ( stupid question maybe?)

It's never stupid to ask a question. Only to not ask one when you don't know the answer.

It's best not to mix breastmilk and formula in the same bottle because the storage guidelines for the two substances are very different. An unfinished breastmilk bottle can be saved for another feeding. Unfinished formula, on the other hand, needs to be discarded. So if you mix your milk with formula, and the baby doesn't finish the bottle, then some of your milk goes down the drain. Which I don't even like to think about!

Also, 1 oz of breastmilk is NOT a small amount! Breastfed babies typically take small amounts throughout the entirety of their first year, usually only 2-4 oz at a time. I know that can seem shocking when you consider how much formula an older baby can and will drink, and how large the bottles need to be- but it's really different with a breastfed baby.

ETA: I expect that the frustration element of this problem is getting to you, but it's actually IDEAL to pause the feeding somewhere along the line. "Paced" feeding techniques give your baby a chance to burp and to read her own hunger cues, allowing her to decide whether or not her tummy is really full, and how much more she needs/wants to eat. It also gets the baby used to the ebb/flow rhythm of breastfeeding, which may be helpful in getting your baby back to the breast. Paced/paused feeding is kind of the gold standard for feeding a bottle-fed baby.
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; February 19th, 2013 at 08:03 PM.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i stoped mixing formula and breast milk in the same bottle ( it wasnt a waist issue she finished the bottles with the breast milk @ 3 oz size but wanted to be sure no cross contamination ) but now she seems to be given an occasional foamy poop. I have an appointment coming up but is this something of concern? she seems fine once she poops. She's been gassy as well but usually i can help her with that would by rubbing the belly and wiggling her legs slowly up and down. it makes her toot like a fog horn and my husband cheers her on so she smiles when we do it so im guessing the gass isnt that bad.

Foamy poop in a 100% breastfed baby would be pretty much par for the course. Breastfed baby poop consistency varies from thick and yogurt-y with lots of curds (kind of like if you mixed in some cottage cheese) to nearly liquid and runny enough to explode up and out of the diaper. Gas is to be expected, and babies fussing until the poop emerges is also entirely normal.

Babies who are combination-fed (breastmilk and formula) tend to make poops which are somewhat thicker, pastier, and smellier. Still, what you describe sounds pretty normal, especially if baby is getting more breastmilk than formula at this point.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She is still only getting about 8 oz of breast milk a day but i believe that day i was able to get out a little more and she had larger portions. it hasnt happened again. i just wanted to make sure she wasnt sick i do have a doc appointment coming up but i would have pushed it closer if there was cause for concern

thank you for all the help. little by little my mind is calmer and my confidence is gaining.