Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: To cereal or not to cereal?

Default To cereal or not to cereal?

Clearly I am more interested in trolling the LLL forums than working today...sorry for the frequent posting

As I mentioned in a recent previous post, I am starting LO in daycare next week for a four day week (she has been with a nanny and I have been telecommuting part time so this is going to be a big change for us both). Up until now, LO has been getting 2-3, 3oz BM bottles and a small serving of solids once a day when she is with the nanny. We just nurse when I'm home, no solids. I am concerned about all the things I read other people having daycare troubles with....overfeeding, wasting breast milk, etc. and it got me thinking. We have skipped cereal in favor of veggies as first solids. But what if I have the daycare offer a morning bottle of 2-3oz and, if she doesn't eat it all, have them mix the leftover with rice cereal for her. This would eliminate waste potential. Also wondering if the cereal would fill her up a little more reducing the risk for overfeeding. I've read about cereal not being the best choice but is it really that harmful? Any thoughts? Or am I just totally overthinking this like I am everything right now?
    mom to four energetic kids ages 6,7,8 and our newest arrival born 8/14/2012

Default Re: To cereal or not to cereal?

I think it's an ok idea. There are some people against cereal out there but I think it's a stretch to say it's harmful. It is a fortified milled grain, which one could say many good things about. I personally would skip rice cereal out of concern for arsenic contamination but we do some oatmeal here and there. I was just going to say though that if you make purees of veggies, sometimes if they are really thick, they could also mix a little breast milk into one of those.

My 9 month old is in daycare and I've shared your concerns about waste, overfeeding, etc. But so far we've had a really, really good experience even though my DD's teachers weren't experts on breastfeeding (they are now!! !!). I think what has helped us a lot is just a lot of communication. If I notice an ounce getting wasted here or there, which has happened only rarely, I will ask them to please reduce the amount they start the bottle with (and accordingly, I bring in smaller bottles) and offer her another ounce after that if she finishes the bottle and still seems hungry). You will see a lot of people voicing concerns over problems here (that's what we do here, right?!) but it's quite possible it will all be fine and you'll settle into a good routine that you'll feel good about. I know it's a big change!! It was hard for me at first but it got easier fast and now I couldn't be more thrilled with our daycare situation. I hope you have a similar experience!! Good luck!!

Thanks so much for the encouragement sprocket!!! My undies are in such a bunch (as my older kids would say) over all this, that I am overlooking the possibility that I'll be pleasantly surprised by an easy transition. Here's to hoping for that!! And I really appreciate the reminder that things have a good chance of working out just fine
    mom to four energetic kids ages 6,7,8 and our newest arrival born 8/14/2012

I wouldn't NOT rice cereal. Besides the lack of nutrition rice is also a known constipator. Just be viligent about controlling your daughters intake and NOT allowing her to being overfed.

Way too lazy for formula

If you're on the fence about cereal, you can always use unfinished milk to thin out a more nutritious solid, like a vegetable or fruit.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"