Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply adjusted, now what?

Default Supply adjusted, now what?

I just discovered that I've had a wicked oversupply this whole time, and my babies are 5 months old! I didn't even discover it until I started weaning. The nipple pain got so severe that I started taking measures to decrease my supply and I realized, hey, my breasts aren't rock hard all the time and there still seems to be plenty of milk! They are no longer choking, pulling off the breast constantly, getting sprayed, etc. But they are still clamping down. HARD. I feel stupid for not realizing that they were doing it before, but I can tell now that the nipple comes out with a white streak, misshapen, etc. Does anyone have any tips on correcting this? Will they slowly learn to ease off over time? (The supply has only been manageable for a few days.) Also, will they learn that it's okay to eat without side-lying? They eat all of their meals in bed, though they will have a "snack" session if we are out and it's been a while. I know there is no way to know how they'll adjust this late in the game, but can anyone share their experiences or tips on what worked for them?

Default Re: Supply adjusted, now what?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*MaeganAlberta View Post
    I just discovered that I've had a wicked oversupply this whole time, and my babies are 5 months old! I didn't even discover it until I started weaning. The nipple pain got so severe that I started taking measures to decrease my supply and I realized, hey, my breasts aren't rock hard all the time and there still seems to be plenty of milk! They are no longer choking, pulling off the breast constantly, getting sprayed, etc. But they are still clamping down. HARD. I feel stupid for not realizing that they were doing it before, but I can tell now that the nipple comes out with a white streak, misshapen, etc. Does anyone have any tips on correcting this? Will they slowly learn to ease off over time? (The supply has only been manageable for a few days.) Also, will they learn that it's okay to eat without side-lying? They eat all of their meals in bed, though they will have a "snack" session if we are out and it's been a while. I know there is no way to know how they'll adjust this late in the game, but can anyone share their experiences or tips on what worked for them?
    My oversupply didn't go away until right after the 5 month mark, too. My baby's favorite spot is still side lying in bed! She's 8 month old. Same as you, she'll eat in other positions a few times now and then and it doesn't seem to be as crucial to be lying down as when there was oversupply.

I think if you offer constantly and consistently everywhere you go, your babies will likely eat in other places besides just bed. It took a lot of offering for me, though. If the let down is still pretty fast (clamping down would indicate that it is), they might not be able to eat if you are sitting upright. Do you take them off during let down? That might help a bit...take them off and then put them back on after the letdown has slowed.

Hopefully your supply will go down even more, and adjust to be just exactly what they need. At that point my baby was much happier and more comfortable!
    and Mama to two little girls