Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Any shift workers out there that can give advice?

Default Any shift workers out there that can give advice?

This is a little early to post since dd is only 4 months. When I return to work she will be 1 year old and I want to continue nursing. The problem is that I'm a paramedic and work 12 hr shifts ( with lots of overtime) and I have to commute back and forth. I work 3 days on, 2 off, 4 on, 5 off. And the. Switch to nights. I was planning on pumping at work. Do you think I will still be able to nurse her? Or is it likely she will wean? This is stupid but its already starting to stress me out.

Default Re: Any shift workers out there that can give advice?

I'm curious about this too, my LO will be 1 when I go back to work, and my usual schedule is 2 weeks days/2 weeks midnights, with days off sort of randomly thrown in there. My shifts are 8 hours though. Not to jack your post -just to tell you that I feel your pain about it stressing you out, and I don't think it's stupid to be thinking about it already. My LO still nurses lots during the night at 6 months. I try to tell myself that things can really change in the next 6 months, that the way our relationship is now is likely to evolve into something a little different. I'm trying to build up my deep freezer stash so that I have some milk to give her while I'm at work, cause I'm not sure pumping will be feasible for me. I'm getting stressed out just writing about it, lol! Hopefully some other mamas who have BTDT will chime in. And I'm sure we'll get the stink eye from the moms who had to go back when their babies were so much younger. I take it you're in Canada too?

With my oldest, I was working full-time and pumping at work, nursing at home. When he was a year old I pump weaned and was just nursing at home. A few weeks after that I started working really long hours. Some nights I didn't get home until 2 am and I was leaving very early in the morning. So I was often nursing him just one or two times per 24 hours, sometimes not at all (but I usually pumped once in the 24 hours - more for comfort than anything else). This did not diminish baby's enthusiasm for nursing - if anything he was MORE into nursing, I guess because it was a way to bond with me when I was gone so much. And it didn't dry up my milk either. Most mothers who are working outside the home do pump wean at a year. Your milk supply is very well established by then. And especially if you nurse on demand on the non-working days (and nights!), I don't think you'll have any trouble maintaining your nursing relationship!

Yeah. By a year your supply is established. You can nurse on demand and not worry about supply going away. Women can go away for whole weekends and come back and pick up right where they left off.

Way too lazy for formula

Oh wow, thanks ladies. That makes me feel so much better!