Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: milk supply suddenly gone?

Default milk supply suddenly gone?

My little one is just over two weeks old. Last night, it seems like my supply just suddenly vanished. I haven/t felt any let down in the past 3 feedings, my breasts are always soft, whereas just yesterday they would start to feel hard at about the 2 hr mark. I am not leaking anymore, either. I nurse a lot - every 2 hours during the day, and 2-4 hours at night. I am not sick, I am well hydrated, etc. What happened? What should I do? Please help, I am feeling so sad at the idea that this could be it for my breastfeeding experience!

Default Re: milk supply suddenly gone?

How do you know for certain that your not producing any milk? Have you tried to express some milk? Its quite normal for your breasts to no longer feel hard and engorged as your body starts to produce just the right amount. Also many women cant feel the let down! Dont panic just yet. Any other ladies care to chime in ?

Oh and congratulations!

Hi new.mom.4 ! I agree with pp, this may be a false alarm. milk production does not just stop on the dime, unless possibly if it is made to stop chemically. If you are on any hormonal birth control that would be my worry.

How is baby's weight gain and output? (poops) These are the most reliable way to tell if baby is getting enough milk.
    Overall has nursing been going well? comfortable for you, baby nurses 10 or more times a day?

let downs and how breasts generally feel are only part of the story. It's good info to have, but not enough to draw conclusions. Many moms feel no let downs, and if baby nurses well and often that can prevent getting engorged (hard) which is a good thing.

The reason I am worried is because I was having the let down feeling and engorged feelings and they just suddenly disappeared. I'm not on any bc. THe baby seems to want to nurse constantly, which is also making me wonder if I am not making any milk anymore. However, she has had some wet diapers since last night, so that is a positive sign.
    I can't tell if she is gaining weight, though.

Baby might be nursing more to increase your supply.

As long as the baby continues to produce adequate numbers of wet and poopy diapers- here's a handy reference: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../enough-milk/- you know she's getting enough to eat. With a baby this young, it's also important to watch for a few other things, like feeding frequency (a baby this young should be eating around 10-12 times a day), sleepiness (extremely sleepy babies sometimes don't feed often enough), pacifier use (babies are sometimes so content to suck on a paci that they will ignore their own hunger cues), and your comfort (if nursing causes you a lot of pain, or you're getting cracked/blistered nipples, that can indicate latch problems which can impact milk supply). Basically, as long as you're nursing enough, seeing enough wet/poopy diapers, not subbing in a paci, and not in extreme pain when you nurse, you can assume that baby is getting enough and will have gained plenty of weight by her next appointment.

One thing that happens to a lot of moms is that they start out making more milk than their baby needs. This is nature's way of ensuring that a weak, uncoordinated newborn gets plenty to eat as she masters the art of nursing. When a mom is making extra milk, she's likely to feel full or engorged fairly often and to experience strong or stronger letdown sensations. But making extra milk is a waste of energy, can make nursing harder for the baby (it's hard to latch onto a very full breast, and the milk can come out so fast that the baby will have difficulty keeping up), and can put mom at higher risk for things like plugged ducts and mastitis. So after a mom has been nursing for a while, her body detects that excess milk is being produced and reduces supply to a level which is closer to what baby needs. When this adjustment happens, it is normal to rarely if ever feel full or engorged, to have your letdown sensation lessen or disappear, to leak less or not at all, and to pump less (if you've been pumping, which at 2 weeks you shouldn't be).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"