Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids and BLS.... getting frustrated

Default Solids and BLS.... getting frustrated

My daughter just turned 11 months old. She has always been a milk baby and not that interested in solids. She has ONLY ever gotten breastmilk and when I tried to introduce solids around 7-8 months old, she didn't show interest so I didn't push it. I knew she was getting everything she needed from me. Finally around 10 months old, she started to show interest, so I started giving pureed foods and trying the BLS approach. She seems to like her pureed foods... but she is not eating ANYTHING on her own with BLS. Is this pretty typical at first? I know it's only been a couple of weeks, but I'm getting a little frustrated. She will suck on an apple or pear.... and lick at a banana, but she doesn't seem to eat any of it. I have tried apples, pears, sweet potatoes (steamed), green beans (steamed). She did finally get a small piece of green bean in her mouth, but started gagging and got it out when she spit up a tiny amount. She got a little upset and then quickly got over it and continued to just play with the food. But... that is all she will really do: just play with the food and then throw it on the floor in a few minutes.

I really do not want to rely on pureed foods, but she doesn't seem to be eating with the BLS?

Are we on the right track? Any suggestions???

Default Re: Solids and BLS.... getting frustrated

The goal with BLS is to let them eat at their own pace. It sounds like your daughters pace is just kind of slower than you expected. I don't think it's anything you need to worry about and I don't think you should feel like you absolutely HAVE to make up for it with purees. As long as you're still nursing plenty she's getting what she needs and that won't suddenly change when she has her first birthday. It's a slow, gradual transition to relying on solids for the majority of their nutrition and different kids will go at different rates.

One thing you might want to do is try some new foods and new flavors. When my daughter was that age she LOVED pasta, shredded chicken with taco seasoning (make your own or use low-sodium), black beans and rice, strips of buttered toast, finger foods like cheerios or chex, berries of any kind.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

:it with Still.here. I totally get that it's frustrating to have your baby show little interest in solids when she's in charge of feeding herself rather than taking food off a spoon- my first LO was very similar. At 11 months, she wasn't that interested in self-feeding (she'd eat a cheerio from time to time, and dirt from the floor, but that was about it) and also would not take food off a spoon. So I was pretty much her entire food supply, and it got kind of old for me!

I would just continue to offer solids- try new tastes and textures, new foods- but don't stress if she's not into them. She'll get there!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My son is 9 mo. old I started offering him homemade purred baby food at around 6 mo. I was always to scared to try BLS! At first he would gag on foods. I didn't force or push him to eat when he didn't want. I gradually increased the thickness of food and started leaving little bits of food in his purees. Now he is eating almost all finger foods. Sometimes it just takes time to figure out what baby likes and how feeding will work for each individual baby. I don't think there is one set way to feed a child. Every baby is different and with that will learn, grow etc. differently. Good luck!!

Thanks for your input! My LO is almost a year old (later in March) and still is just so iffy on the solids. Sometimes she'll take pureed food and sometimes shows no interest. Just this morning she was in my wrap on my hip and I was letting her taste a ripe banana and she got a small chunk of it, got a horrible look on her face like she couldn't stand it and then she threw up all over the place.

One reason I wish she would start taking to solids is because I EP. I have been pumping for almost a year now (unfortunately due to a bad start and direction from my LC).... so now after a year of pumping.... I'm starting to really struggle with my supply. My period came back two months ago and it's been a battle since. Since my daughter will not really take solids.... I'm in a battle to keep up with her milk intake. I'm taking herbs and doing everything I can, but my freezer stash is almost gone and daily I barely keep up with her. Thank goodness.... so far never any formula, etc.

I know what all of you say is true about solids... but I'm still so frustrated. I wish she would just take to it a little better and start eating some! A few months ago this didn't bother me, but now that my milk is struggling.... I want her to eat some food!

OH... Another question I had was.... since she isn't eating more solids... wouldn't it be bad for her to go to cow's milk fully at a year? She isn't getting any calories from food.... and it seems to me that she cannot survive alone on nothing but cow's milk and it be healthy? So... shouldn't I continue to give her breastmilk until she picks up solids and then can transition to cow's milk too?

Hi mama, here are a couple recent threads about ways to encourage your LO to eat solids:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...80#post1307980

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...mping-in-sight

I don't know the scientific answer to your question about the healthfulness of cow's milk vs. breastmilk after one year (hopefully another mama can comment on that), but if you can stand to continue pumping (which I know you've worked so hard at!), might be nice to try to at least do a combo of cow's milk and breastmilk until she picks up on her solids intake.

Every baby goes by a different pace in developments. Eating is one of them. Just keep offering. My lo was like that. At first he would not have any solids. Then one day, he suddenly shows interest. Then gradually he eats more and more. I offered when he was 6 months. For the past few months, the most he swallowed was half a mini banana (those finger-sizes ones). Then from a week ago, he suddenly ate a lot. He could down a whole adult-size banana all by himself, and still wanted more! He is turning 1 this weekend. I noticed this came at the same time he mastered his pincer grasp. So just give your Lo plenty of practising opportunity. She will get there!

I would talk to the pediatrician about the cow's milk. AFAIK, it should be okay- most American babies are weaned by their first birthdays, and transition to solids and whole animal milk at that point. But if your baby is still displaying very little interest in solids after a year, you might want to keep pumping for a few extra months.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Have you tried steamed zuccini, its very much like a puree in texture and very watery so its easy to swallow. My son could pick up those pieces of cubed zuccini when he was still all thumbs and chew it with his gums or just swallow them whole like a slimy spoonful of applesauce. If you put a few small cubes on some spoonfuls then on the hands maybe she would recognize it and try to eat it off her hand. I also tried little organic red grapes which are very soft in texture and quartered them, they are easy to pick up and smash in the mouth very easily. I also got my son to suck a soft strawberry or piece of watermelon down to nothing and then anything red he grabbed first and tasted on his tray after that. I had a hard time getting my son to pick of food and put it into his mouth instead of throwing it off his tray...a lot of wasted and stepped on food later he is amazing at feeding himself and hits away spoons unless it has apricot applesauce on it.
    Last edited by @llli*diymom; March 17th, 2013 at 11:23 PM. Reason: mispelled word due to auto correct
    Long time wannabe Momma. First time actual Momma.

-candice -