Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy breastfed baby

Default Fussy breastfed baby

Have anyone experience a fussy baby but only occur on evening time? My baby (2 mo) always be a fussy baby from 6 pm until she sleep (at around 8:30 pm). And this happens everyday. She is exclusively breastfed. At first I thought she was hungry, and keep offer her to nurse, but she refused. She will quite, for a short time, if i hold her in upward position in which she will burp loudly and spit up sometimes. But that won't last long, until she cry again and i offer her to nurse and she refuse and she quite in upward position and so on and so on...until she sleeps. My friend said that she could be colic. I really confused and don't know what to do. Please help.
    (note : my baby refuse pacifier).
    I have a toddler and with this situation with my baby, I can't accompany my toddler even for a short time
    Really need advises. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Fussy breastfed baby

This (evening crying) is very common and if the consistent crying is typically only in the evenings and baby is healthy and gaining, not really anything to worry about. Baby will likely outgrow it. This type of fussiness occurs in breast and formula fed infants. It is not caused by baby being breastfed.

Also many babies object just in general to being laid down away from mom. They want to be held most of the time by mom or another trusted adult. This is normal.

Do you have a baby carrier such as a sling or wrap to carry baby in so you can hold baby in a upright position in that, close to you, with a hand free for your toddler?

with LLLMeg. This is totally normal for a young baby. My girls both had nightly screaming sessions from around 3 weeks until 3 months. A lot of people call this kind of behavior "fussy evenings," while others prefer "evenings-only colic."

Some things that can help:
    - Nurse. Nurse, nurse, nurse, nurse, nurse- unless baby refuses!
    - Motion. Rock in a rocking chair, swing in a swing, ride in a stroller, bounce on an exercise ball, etc.
    - White noise. Vacuum cleaner sounds, radio static, etc.
    - Closeness. Snuggle baby up in a sling, close to your soothing heartbeat and breath sounds.
    - Trip outside. This almost always worked for my girls!
    - Warm bath. 100% effective for my kids- the only problem was that it was a temporary fix because I couldn't bathe them forever! I just couldn't hold them upright that long! The bath was also a great thing to do with my toddler- I would have her pour cups of water over her baby sister and solve 2 problems at once- the baby's fussiness and my toddler's need for attention!
    Basically, the key to dealing with fussy evenings is to change up the baby's sensory input. It will pass, I promise!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with all the PP. My son cried every night from 4pm-9pm. He was very fussy, and if you set him down he let out the most blood curdling screams ever. From about 3 weeks old, until right around 3 months, he did this everyday, same time, like an alarm clock. The only comfort for my son was my husband bouncing him and holding him tight while doing so. Luckily my husband is a great multi-taskter and could play video games, watch tv, etc., while holding our son.

One day is just dissapeared. We found co-sleeping and baby wearing helped us not feel like we were "holding" him the whole time.

This too shall pass mama. My little man is 3 and is the happiest little guy GOOD LUCK!
    Married to my superman 4-26-08
    First time mommy to William Landon - my monkey man born 1-29-10

We all love and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*landonsmommy View Post
    I agree with all the PP. My son cried every night from 4pm-9pm. He was very fussy, and if you set him down he let out the most blood curdling screams ever. From about 3 weeks old, until right around 3 months, he did this everyday, same time, like an alarm clock. The only comfort for my son was my husband bouncing him and holding him tight while doing so. Luckily my husband is a great multi-taskter and could play video games, watch tv, etc., while holding our son.

One day is just dissapeared. We found co-sleeping and baby wearing helped us not feel like we were "holding" him the whole time.

This too shall pass mama. My little man is 3 and is the happiest little guy GOOD LUCK!
    I just have to add that your comment about your husband brought back sweet memories for me. DS1 was a fussy evening baby, and I worked late a lot of nights. My DH set up a station he could use his computer at while standing up. Many nights I came home to him jiggling DS in the baby carrier, surfing the web, all calm in the house. At the time, it felt totally stressful; now it's a pleasant memory.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

Sorry you're having a hard time, mama. My first two babies weren't nearly as fussy as my third, and it was very difficult. There were many times that he cried regardless of what I was doing - holding, rocking, bouncing, nursing, trying paci, changing, laying down, etc.. I often times just rocked and held him close until the crying subsided. Sometimes I cried with him. Sometimes his daddy was able to get him to relax. I'm not sure if it was 'colic' but regardless, it did pass and now he is a very, very happy 6 month old baby.

The previous suggestions are good ones, you might find something that works very well for your LO. Hang in there mama, things will get easier!
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Many thanks for the replies. It is really a relief to know that it will pass
    This evening, i tried to massage her, and she was not as fussy as usual. Dunno if this really works for her or maybe just a coincident. Hope the massage works wonder