Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting sad

Default Getting sad

Hi,

I know it's normal to feel somewhat sad when our lil ones are growing up & starting to nurse less...but how sad do you really get?

My DS will be 2 yo on Tuesday! And he's slowing down on nursing. Yesterday I nearly cried but held it together as he nursed. He had already gone 2 hrs & 40 min....yes I knew exactly, lol....cuz it was his bday party & I already figured he wasn't going to ask to nurse during it. So after it was over I offered to nurse in the car, he happily accepted...but then still seemed very distracted...maybe still a lil overwhelmed?? He nursed but kept popping off to look out window etc. I thought for sure he was going to just "attack the milkies" lol. He's such an extra extra busy body lately.

So now when I notice he's going a lil long, I offer. But sometimes I feel odd...like I shouldn't. It's ok to offer right???
    And honestly sometimes I feel odd offering in front of my husband cuz he already thinks he's too old.

Anyhow, maybe pms made me extra emotional. But is it normal to be this emotional about less & less nursing??

Thanks!
    Last edited by @llli*lovinmommyhood; February 18th, 2013 at 02:24 AM.
    Mercedes

1st time mommy to lil D 2/19/11

LOVE

Default Re: Getting sad

It's normal Mama! They get bigger and nurse less often, but weaning will be gradual so don't feel too sad! I'm still nursing my 4.5 yr old.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

If you want to continue nursing then offer

My son is four, and i stopped offering when he was around 3 1/2, as I was getting really tired of nursing and if it were not for the ladies on this forum I was ready to simply quit. Thanks to the great support here I continued but I did stopped offering (don't offer don't deny method), and he still nurses to sleep 5 evenings out of 7.

When he was around 2 1/2 i actually got together my courage and asked my husband if he had problem with it as I was sure he did but it turned out he had not, it only bothered him that our son preferred me to him.
    This is still an issue and he jokingly says sometimes he wishes he had boobs, and sometimes our son tells his dad that it is sad dad does not have boobs and it does not go down well. I think for husbands extended nursing can be hard, but if you speak with him it might help clear up misunderstanings (I showed him some of the LLL material on health benefits of extended nursing).

As for getting sad, yes I can understand, but also you know it is possible that he will still nurse a long time if you let him, mine does still. The nursing relationship simply changes in nature and personally I stopped nursing in public once he was about 2, I told we do it when we are alone only, and stopped nursing during the day when he was 3 and statrted day care.

Thank you so much mamas! <3 For sharing your experiences & kind words. I will continue offering
    Of course after writing this, today he actually nursed a lot!

I tend to forget they can nurse for a while even if its only at night etc.

Thx so much!
    Mercedes

1st time mommy to lil D 2/19/11

LOVE