Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nipple pain - cut/tear?

Default nipple pain - cut/tear?

The past few days I have noticed some pain in my left nipple. I pump four times a day and nurse at least three times on the weekdays and nurse 8+ times on the weekends. Just yesterday I saw saw a rip or tear on the underside of my nipple that makes pumping or nursing extremely painful. If I continue to do either I don't think it will ever heal.

My sister suggested that I don't do either for at least 24 hours to allow it to heal. The problem is that I will be really engorged if I don't and I'll lose my supply. It seems if I do hand expressions I create plugged ducts that I can only get out with warm messages and nursing or pumping.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can let this heal without losing my supply? Maybe I'm not hand expressing correctly? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: nipple pain - cut/tear?

Some questions for you:
    - Is this tear new, or has it been present for a long time?
    - How does nursing feel, compared to pumping?
    - How big is the wound, and is it more of a pinpoint hole, a slit-like crack, or a large wound that gapes larger after nursing/pumping?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Its new as far as I know but I just noticed yesterday. My nipples are always pointy now that im nursing so when I put on my nursing tank they seem to fold over a little. The cut is in that fold so it is more of a slit-like crack. I would have to say that nursing is a little more painful since his tongue rubs right on it.

Perplexing! Ordinarily when a crack pops up after a period of trouble-free nursing, I start thinking of something infectious- bacteria, yeast ( thrush). But when you say that your nipples are "pointy" and you can feel the baby's tongue rubbing them as you nurse, I have to think about latch issues. So, more questions:
    - Have you had a recent bout of mastitis?
    - Have you had a recent course of antibiotics (including for GBS during birth)?
    - Does the baby have a yeast diaper rash or oral thrush?
    - Do you have or have you recently had a vaginal yeast infection?
    - Are your nipples more red, pink, or shiny than normal?
    - Any dry-looking or peeling skin in the nipple/areola region?
    - Any burning or itching sensations, particularly between feedings?
    - Are your nipples wedged/creased/ridged/shaped like new lipsticks after the baby finishes nursing?

Your sister's advice- to not nurse or pump for 24 hours- definitely doesn't strike me as a good idea. Getting engorged or ending up with a plugged duct or mastitis- not what you need, on top of what you're already dealing with!

ETA: This link has a description of all-purpose nipple ointment (APNO), which combines an antibacterial, an antifungal, and an anti-inflammatory: http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I guess this particular nipple does have some flaking skin on it but I thought that was just dried milk. I would have to say no to all other questions. I do have Raynauds syndrome but that shouldn't matter for this I would think. I haven't nursed or pumped for about five hours on that side and I've let the nipple air out and it seems to be getting better but not cured. I think I can only feel his tongue because it hurts so bad now. I know his latch isn't fabulous but its worked for the last six months. When I say pointy I mean they are just always erect. It seems like im always "nippin out". My sister said I should avoid it but hand express to get relief. I might just pump that side on very low suction and see how it goes. If it were thrush wouldn't I have similar symptoms on both sides?

I'd guess thrush? It can create lacerations in the nipple, and it is EXCRUCIATINGLY painful? I don't know, but that's just my first thought? Have you had thrush before?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I thought I had it once a couple months ago but apparently thrush symptoms are very similar to raynauds syndrome symptoms. I guess a better way to explain the cut is that it is at the base of my nipple and it goes around about half of the circumference. If I pump on low or nurse him in a football hold (awkward and not comfortable!) It doesn't hurt as bad but I'm still afraid it will never heal. Thanks a bunch. If more symptoms of thrush appear I'll go in to get treatment.

There are some OTC remedies for thrush that are pretty harmless and might be worth a try. This is my favorite - http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.