Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Little girl not transferring milk

Default Little girl not transferring milk

My daughter was born at 35.3 weeks and was in the hospital for 15 days with breathing issues, jaundice, and being unable to suck/swallow. We have been home for five weeks now and she will latch on and suck for 5-10 min on each breast but is transferring little to no milk (we rented a scale a couple weeks ago) I also can't hear many, if any, swallowing noises. It was a struggle even to get her to drink out of a bottle in the hospital. The LC says she is disorganized in her eating. She did have a tongue tie that we had corrected and we let her suck on fingers instead of pacifiers and she seems to have good suction. She "nurses" at almost every feeding but seems to get frustrated after 15-20 min.

I also have low milk supply. I am only pumping about half of what she eats in a day and have to supplement the rest with formula which kills me. But my amounts seem to be creeping up day by day.

It has been 7 weeks now and I desperately want to exclusively BF but an getting discouraged. Any words of wisdom?

Default Re: Little girl not transferring milk

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

I think the best tool you have is patience. Your baby is only now term, and even term babies sometimes have difficulty with nursing. Give her time to master this rather difficult skill. Do lots of snuggling at the breast, nurse her as often as possible, try to make bottle-feeding like nursing (do it at the bare breast, tickle baby's lips with the bottle nipple so that she opens wide before slipping the bottle in, switch her from side to side, pause the feeding after every oz of milk), and try to conclude bottle sessions with a little additional time at the breast so that baby associates the feeling of being satisfied with being at the breast. It might help to try offering an oz of milk and then putting baby to the breast- she might have increased patience for nursing when her hunger is not quite so sharp.

It's great that you're getting more milk day by day. What sort of pump are you using, and how often do you manage to pump?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am using a medela pump in style and am pumping 8 times a day. The frequency varies depending on whether or not she will let me put her downside it is usually anywhere from 1-4 hours with a 5 or 6 hour stretch at night when my husband takes a feeding.
    I tried finishing at the breast the other day and gave her all but half an ounce in the bottle and then tried to nurse and it did NOT go well. It made for a very fussy day.
    Most of the time she is pretty tired after a feeding but I will try getting her back on the breast. Thanks for the other tips, I am will to try anything. I was thinking about trying an SNS? I keep wondering if I am sabotaging myself with the bottles.

Yes, definitely look into using a SNS, or a Lact-Aid (which a lot of people seem to prefer to the SNS). The more your baby gets the idea that all her nutrition comes from the breast, the less likely she'll be to start refusing to nurse or cutting her nursing sessions short in order to get a bottle. All nursing supplementers are somewhat tricky to use- getting that little tube positioned just right and latching baby on at the same time is kind of fiddly. Sometimes it works better if you latch baby on first, and then slip the tube into her mouth as she nurses- something which may require a second pair of hands.

The PIS is a good pump, but since you're currently having trouble supplying all your child's needs, I think it makes sense to go a step up to a hospital-grade rental pump, if you can afford that. Better pumps generally result in more milk with less effort. I also encourage ou to try slipping some more pumping sessions into your day. When a mom is struggling with supply and using the pump to try to boost it, she should aim to pump about as often as a newborn baby nurses. Typically that's about 10-12 times a day. I totally get it that 10-12 pumping sessions is crazy intense- I have done it, myself!- but hopefully it's a temporary measure.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I had a medela symphony for the first 5 weeks or so that I rented from the hospital and actually found that the pump in style did comparatively well if not better than the hospital grade for me (I had them both for about a week).
    I am going to try to squeeze more pumpings in as my goal for each day this week. My biggest challenge is when I am home alone with her all day and she fusses every time I put her down or she takes a really long time to eat. I'll have to try more when hubby is home.

Let us know how it goes! I have done the nursing + crazy amount of pumping thing, and I know that it is very challenging. Don't feel bad if your pumping sessions fall short of some ideal goal- every little bit helps!