Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New nipple pain

Default New nipple pain

For the past 48 hours or so, I've had a new pain on my left nipple, sort of on the underside of it. It hurts when I press on it, or when LO nurses, and sort of feels like it radiates into my breast. It's not the pain of thrush or vasospasm (I'm familiar with those, and this is different). I can't see any lesions or blebs or anything on the nipples, and no lumps in my breast. Is it possible there's a small plug or something underneath that I can't see or feel? If so, how do I get rid of it?

While I'm here anyway, I have a question about pumping as well. I have a PISA, and the flanges fit me fine fine. I use low suction and only pump for about 10 minutes every once in a while. But it seems like every time I pump, my nipples get irritated afterwards, and I get a lot more blanching than I usually do. Anyone know the reason for this, and what I can do to prevent it?

Thanks!

Default Re: New nipple pain

Have you tried lubricating your nipples with a little olive oil (or similar) before pumping? It can help!

As far as the pain in your nipples now. I'd be worried about thrush. Or it could just be that your baby is teething and latching a little different now? I seem to have to deal with one or the other of those ... like every couple weeks!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I was also going to suggest possible teething. My little guy has been teething and when they're really bothering him I notice that he latches differently and kind of grinds his gums. Thankfully he doesn't actually have any teeth yet. Also, my left nipple is more sensitive than the right so I notice any latch issues, thrush, etc. much more on that side. Could that be it?
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Hmm, I guess I hadn't thought of teething. LO has been drooling like a turned-on faucet for months now...I guess I lost hope of teeth ever poking through, lol

I don't think it's thrush, I've had that before. It does seem a little better this morning though, so who knows.

I usually put coconut oil on my nipples at least once a day, but I've never thought of putting it on before pumping. I'll definitely give it a try next time. Thanks for the suggestion!