Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Seeking advice - distractable baby/nursing in public.

Default Seeking advice - distractable baby/nursing in public.

Hi!

My little girl is nearly five months old and is quite distractable. She doesn't eat much when she is awake and eats mostly when she is sleeping or about to go to sleep. This was cute at first and now it's just getting a tiny bit frustrating.

Here are some concerns/questions:

1) Do I need to pump during the day to keep up my supply?

She usually eats more at night now (4 times) to make up for the missing nutrition during the day. I just don't know if it as much as before since I am half asleep when we feed.

2) Any tips on getting her to eat while she is awake?

3) How about getting her to nurse comfortably in public? I feel that this is important to reach my goal of nursing until she is ready to wean...not the one year standard.

Thanks in advance for your attention to this matter!

Hope that you have a great day.

G

Default Re: Seeking advice - distractable baby/nursing in public.

Do you have a nursing cover? Try that at home for awhile. Also maybe an interesting necklace she can fiddle with while nursing in her tent ??

Hi!

Yes I do...I forgot about it - thanks for the reminder! I will try this! Thank you!

G

Of course! No worries

Mine became very distractible around 4 mos too. A nursing necklace helped us a lot for several months with home nursing, since they can keep their eyes and hands busy close to the breast without unlatching. Now he's 9 mos and it seems like he's calmed down enough in the past month or so to nurse without the necklace provided we silence other distractions -- no TV, hubby can't talk to me or walk around the room, etc -- I also hold his hand, play with his fingers, talk and smile at him, etc. so it seems the personal interaction makes nursing fun and keeps his attention. But I'm sad to say that nursing in public remains a challenge! The nursing necklace (and me for that matter) just cannot compete with all the excitement of the world. So I just make more of an effort to make sure we nurse immediately before leaving the house, and take advantage of any quiet, calm spots we stumble upon while we are out and about. Good luck!

I have never been able to feed my little one around people- she bites and pulls to look..I too plan my trips on quiet places to feed her-our faves- dressing rooms and in the backseat of the car. She never went for the covers or necklaces.

If we are going somewhere those won't work, I try to pump her a bottle in advance.