Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping enough for "extras"...how?

Default pumping enough for "extras"...how?

Hi,
    I have an 8 mo boy, 19 1/2 lb and 28" tall. We've been doing fruits and veggies since 6 mo and oatmeal for about the past couple weeks. The nurse at my dr's office said I should mix the oatmeal up with breastmilk if I have any, otherwise formula. I don't want to do formula, so I've been pumping like mad to get 2 oz to mix with his cereal.

Now I'm trying to get him to sleep better at night, and the book I'm reading suggests pumping a bottle a day for Daddy to feed. I like that idea because DH has found it impossible to get DS to sleep. Like the one time I left DS with him so I could go out with friends he was still awake and crying at 10 p.m. I think if he got used to Daddy feeding him he'd do a little better and I could have some sanity.

Here's the problem--I can't seem to get enough pumped out, ever! I thought the more the breasts were emptied the more they'd fill up, so I increased pumping to 3x/day all week just to get enough milk for my MIL to feed him a bottle while we were out last night. Then he didn't take it and we had to dump it.

I used to get about 2 oz each pumping session, sometimes even 3, but now it has dropped to about 1/2 oz, and just when I'm trying to get more!

Do I just keep pumping 3x a day and hope my body will be fooled into thinking my baby is eating "extra?" I still nurse DS often, every 2-3 hours during the day, and have dropped to twice a night.

Sorry if this is all over the place! I just need to know that my milk isn't drying up, that I don't need to go out and buy formula to mix with his oatmeal, and maybe some suggestions on how to increase what I'm getting with pumping!

Default Re: pumping enough for "extras"...how?

I don't understand why you would NEED to mix anything with the oatmeal, let alone formula, if your son is still nursing plenty and gaining weight. I thought the idea of mixing breastmilk with cereal was to give them a familiar taste along with the new, not because they necessarily need those extra calories.

As for your pumping, what kind of pump are you using, and did you purchase it new, or second-hand?

I'm using an Ameda umm....don't remember the name of it, but it's a 'big' one. A friend gave it to me. It's well-loved but hasn't seemed to have any decrease in suction or anything. I was using the flange inserts for my teeny nipples but that did seem to interfere with the suction this week (not ever before) so I have taken them out to see if that helps. I pump one breast at a time.

At this point I've been mixing the breastmilk in with the cereal to make it runnier. I was mixing it with his peaches or applesauce, but it was too thick and he gagged on it and was too scared to eat it. I also have used juice when I'm out of breastmilk, but I figured breastmilk would offer the best nutrition. Can I just mix it with water, then? I wasn't sure how much water he should have and didn't want to add any extra in.

I agree with carm3, if you're exclusively breastfeeding I don't see the need for milk or formula in the oatmeal. If you have the milk, it can make it more palatable to baby, but I wouldn't drive yourself crazy trying to pump 3x/day just for that! Water is fine to mix in. And if your LO doesn't like it with water - well, it's not an essential food.

Ameda Purely Yours, perhaps? A well-loved APY is unlikely to be a great pump. They're good pumps, but not generally multiple-user or multiple-year machines.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"