Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help 3 day old no bm no let down

Default Please help 3 day old no bm no let down

Hi this is baby #4 I nurse the other three to a year with little problem. I just had my fourth on Wed. My breast feel full since yesterday, and a little hard. You can pump out very scant amount of orangey milk. Last night my baby was up nursing literarly all night. With in 15 minutes of nursing he would cry again to nurse. He has had a few wet diapers but no poopy ones. No one is open today since it is Sat, I can't find a LC to help me. I don't know if I should just supplement with a bottle for awhile so he doesn't starve, I have never had to supplement before and I worry that I will be more confused if he has a bowel movement as too where it came from breast milk or formula. Any help would be so appercaited thanks.

Default Re: Please help 3 day old no bm no let down

Nope. Don't panic. The orangey milk is colostrom and very very nutrient dense. Babies can live on colostrum alone for up to 5 days and the non stop nursing is the baby working to get your regular milk to come in. So feed on demand, don't supplement and don't worry. There has been no meconium poop at all since birth?

Way too lazy for formula

He did have meconium poop about three diapers worth between two days, but I have not seen any of the yellow seedy poop I am use to after that. Thanks for replying, i am glad to hear it is ok.

So you have only not seen poop today? Yeah I wouldn't worry about that at all. IF your milk hasn't come in yet, colostrom doesn't make for much poop. There really is so little of it and it's all being absorbed.

Way too lazy for formula

Thank you so much I feel much better!

Just let the baby on the breast as often as he wants to go. That feverish need to nurse is him working on instinct to make it come in. You should have bowling ball boobs by tomorrow or the next day!

Way too lazy for formula

The poop output you describe so far is within normal range.

My breast feel full since yesterday, and a little hard.
    This sounds as if your milk is indeed becoming abundant, right on scedule. More poops-3 or more a day-should be coming v. soon-today, probably-and they should begin to transition to the yellow/mustardy look, but may look green etc. during the transition. Basically don't worry what they look like the point is that baby poops.

I agree with djs.mom. Nurse VERY frequently. Even if it's only been 15 minutes. It is normal for a baby this age to be at the breast most of the time. I know it's hard with a other children to care for but hopefully you have help with that. If you nurse frequently enough you would typically have heavyness in the breasts but not to much true hardness, tightness or pain. Those are signs of engorgment and it's good to avoid that if possible, and it's usually helped by nursing very very frequently.

Any latch pain, or baby having difficulty latching?

ps don't go by the pump. Pumping output is not a good way to measure true production especially in the early days.

congratulations! <3 i agree with pps, i also had a new baby (hes now 3 wks old) and it took about 5 days for my milk to come in and poop output was really low, but we just did nursing marathons, i sat on the couch with a big glass of water and my favorite tv shows, eventually with all of the nursing my boobs turned into milk geysers hahaha.

annnnd i also wouldnt bother with a pump. the most ive ever gotten out of one was 2 oz, and.... i know for a fact there was far more in my breasts than 2 oz.